Sighting of Possible Large Cephalopod Near Portugal

Regarding the question were there any fins at the taper end I do not remember seeing any evidence that there were any. I had a sly backward glance to see how far the thing extended aft beyond the yachts transom but only remember seeing the red mesh showing the round tapered end. However there may have been fins present but not visible. I was only able to see clearly what was outlined by the red bioluminescent mesh and the bright glow in the water forward. The yachts navigation lights gave a low level of light intensity (port & starboard + stern lights). The object/creature was able to move vertically at a slow and in what appeared to be a a very controlled way so that it lay just under the yacht with the truncated end near the surface beyond the yachts bow and the body hanging down at about 20 degrees to the surface of the sea and projecting beyond the stern. It was keeping pace with the yacht at say 3 knts. I would have thought fins were present required to provide this ammount of control. However I can only relate to the world what I have seen and I did not see any fins. I do not remember it breaking the surface or making contact with the yacht.

I can only describe what I have seen but if had to stick my neck out I would say it was squid-like in many ways, maybe it was a member of the "bloop" family! Perhaps the military can explain? I feel I have done my bit in trying to comunicate a description of this encounter. If someone else has had a similar visitation from the deep then it will give my description more credibility.

Rob Romero

Blue Ring
Registered
14 years later?

Tim Stress Eng, I've searched far and wide for stories of Giant Squid encounters, the only thing I'm wondering is why are we hearing of your remarkable encounter only now???

Why have I come out of the closet now? At the time we, (The crew of the yacht) explained this event to ourselves as probably a whale with a net wrapped arround it. Although I have always doubted this explanation I was the only member of the crew on deck at the time and thus the only one to have experienced the encounter. We had a yacht that was not in the best of condition with which we had had problems. We, as a crew needed to get on with the task of getting her safely across the Bay of Biscay and this was the priority not some wild story from one of the crew of biloluminescsent sea creatures. On returning to the UK I returned to engineering and was very busy on various projects and also in my personal life. I did not appear to have any sensible 'vehicle' in which to publicise the encounter which I did not think anyone would believe anyway. This was an encounter of which I have no proof and I was concerned that such a story might also effect my credibility among my fellow sailors. I am now older and professionally a little more established and have access to the current, more highly developed, internet. Development of the Internet has also allowed me to attempt to search for an explanation from my desk without it taking up a large ammount of my spare time (as with most people I have many other interests and priorities). In my search (to some extent inspired by Dr Steve O' Shea's recent publicity) I have learnt enough to have convinced myself that what I had seen could have been some sort of squid species. Subsequently I have always made light of, and joked about this encounter with my friends and colleagues. Having now decided that what I had seen may be of scientific intererest and may be taken more seriously I have taken the gamble and am attempting to relate this experience to a section of the scientific community. I am not getting any younger and I did want this observation of an encounter to be lost in case it proves to have some significance. I am hoping that my experience will trigger other people to come forward who have had similar sightings. As I have stated the yacht slammed into say every second or third wave very badly being very flat up forward. My hunch is that the hitting of a flat surface on the water sent shock waves which appeared to attract the attention of this visitor and later on that night, what I assumed to be two dolphins (torpedo like shapes highlighted by white glowing phosophorescense) which swam under the boat, stopped instananeously and then swam off and disappeared. I have devoted some of my spare time to this 'cause' only over the past 12 months. Thus my story has only appeared during this period of activity.

Rob Romero

Blue Ring
Registered
Fascinationg!

Tim, could you post a link to the Wikipedia article of yours someone referenced -I tried, but can't seem to find it.

Rob Romero

Since I wrote the piece in Wikepedia I have thought long and hard about the experience and will try and add more detail to the article.
In the past I tended to think - no one will believe me so whats the point in telling the story! So I put it to the back of my mind and got on with things. Revisiting my visual memory's of that period of my life and this particular event is bringing back more specific detail of the encounter.
The speeds I have talked about sound rather wild and implausable but are a guess from an instantaneous impression of speed combined with my estimated size of the object. What speed capability have modern technology torpedo's and attack nuclear submarines? How fast are small squid? How would that speed scale? If one assumes my description is true it triggers so many questions. All I can say is that I was in the wrong place at the wrong time or right depending on ones view and without any understanding of what was occuring this was what I saw that night.

Has to be the right time and I bet if you could, you'd go back and encounter it again. I'd glady give up my right leg to experience something so unknown - although I have seen some very strange lights in the Devon night sky whilst out and about with my telescope (and no, it wasn't an airplane, satellite, meteor or planet and no I was quite sober, worse luck!).

Probably right, however this appeared to be a large object when compared with the yacht. I'm glad that it quickly appeared to lose interest in us. It could have been the wrong place if this had not been the case.

Latest Posts