Sighting of Possible Large Cephalopod Near Portugal

esquid;116224 said:
And if we act jerky towards him or accuse him of hallucinating, hoaxing etc. what is the chance other people will speak up when they see things out of the ordinary. I was called stupid by my brother for years for being open minded about giant squid reports, guess who was right in the long run. (he claims not to remember this)

I would point this out as an example of the sort of discussion I like to see with respect to reports of weird sea creatures:

Unknown Phylum. Any suggestions?

although in that case there was photographic evidence to go along with it.

At the other extreme is this thread:

Please help identify this possible fossil. . .

where the proposal is pretty clearly kooky. Ideally, I'm hoping this thread can be more like the former than the latter, although I'm afraid the mundane rather than romantically-cryptozoological explanations will continue to make the most sense to me...

esquid;116224 said:
And if we act jerky towards him or accuse him of hallucinating, hoaxing etc. what is the chance other people will speak up when they see things out of the ordinary.
esquid, I completely agree. I definitely have no intents of disparaging Tim at all (or anyone else for that matter) -- I'm just observing that it seems we've run out of runway, since we lack any evidence. It seems like all the available information on this topic has been shared, and now it's just boiled down to "well, do you believe, or don't you?" -- and the answer from most people seems to be that they don't, and I think that's OK.

Monty, the other thread you reference is a much better thread for the exact reason that there's fascinating photographic evidence to go along with the theory. Here, we have nothing but a claim and description (albeit very detailed), so we're all at the mercy of the author's "filter," if you will. In that regard I don't think we can compare the two threads.

From what I skimmed (and I may have missed something), there is nothing wrong with this thread other than the fact that it seems to be spent at this point.

no, I just meant that it is good to see people staying civil when it was getting to the point of deadlock. I think you are right in that this topic has run its course and more importantly there is activity on the squidcam!!

Monty, you shouldn't be embarrassed about being into the Zodiac killer, I've got two shelves of books on him and other serial killers. Although I've always had a feeling that someone else sent the letters, or at least some of them.

esquid;116230 said:
no, I just meant that it is good to see people staying civil when it was getting to the point of deadlock. I think you are right in that this topic has run its course and more importantly there is activity on the squidcam!!

Monty, you shouldn't be embarrassed about being into the Zodiac killer, I've got two shelves of books on him and other serial killers. Although I've always had a feeling that someone else sent the letters, or at least some of them.

Not to digress from the topic TOO much, but I also have to
admit a fascination with Zodiac AND David "Son of Sam"
Burkowicz (sp?). Something about the serial killer who
taunts the authorities with cryptograms and what not is,
well, fascinating. . . . :twisted:

Vince

monty;116221 said:
Although anyone can edit on wikipedia, AFAIK only moderators or 1337 Haxxors can change the dates or contents of the edit history. But Tim seems genuine to me, just so attached to the (what's bigger than colossal) gargantuan, immense squid theory that he comes across frustrated and defensive.

Maybe it's a tie-in to Cloverfield??? "It's alive. And it's huge."
:wink:

By-the-way, I must admit I skimmed over the bit about
the fishing net. How big to those things get, anyway?
Aren't some literally hundreds of feet long? Are they "reeled
in" like a fishing line? If so, could. . . wait, I think you guys
have already gone this route, huh?

Anyway, personally I would LOVE for there to be something
so massively, well, HUGE down there that it would make
a blue whale look like a minnow by comparison. I believe that
it's possible. Granted, I don't know sh*t about marine
biology--I'll be the first to admit that. But who's to say
that something truly titanic doesn't exist in the trenches
somewhere???

:sink:

Anyway, I want to say that my intent was not to
ridicule the original poster. However, I've been on so many
cryptozoology sites and newsgroups, that I can't help but
be skeptical. (For example, depite the fact that the
person who staged the infamous Bluff Creek sasquatch
film back in--what? 1968?--admitted a few years ago
that it was a hoax
, there are still those out there who
say that the film still shows a genuine sasquatch, and that
the person is lying about his admitting it to be a hoax.)

I digress.

But anyway, I would love for this to be true. But I don't
believe a word of it. But then, I wouldn't swear on a stack
of Bibles that it's a hoax or misperception, either. I guess
that's what a true skeptic is, huh?

Vince

I take your point, and I agree that I appear to have made my mind up what it was which appears not very open minded of me but this was based on the opinion of some leading marine biologists in Europe - thus I am attempting to log my description on this site. It was Steves publicity of his work with the Collosal Squid (the photo's) that inspired me to come forward and talk to the Europeans as I thought I recognised certain characteristics in common with the thing I had seen off Portugal. I have sat on my hands on this for the past 14 years and I should have reported this to the coast guard back in 1994. As I know so little about marine life forms I am probably not capable of contributing any more than logging the description and should restrict myself to that, but the squid is such an intriguing animal - so I am curious as to what we know about it and what experts would consider as possible. Prior to coming on Tonmo I have put this description to some of the leading European marine biologists and they are puzzled. They were fairly adamant that it did not sound like a whale and thought it had some of the features of a squid. As I have said with my limited knowledge in this area this is a logging exersise to try and record somewhere an accurate description of what I saw in case someone has seen similar. As a sailor of small yachts I would really rather not have seen this large/object/ animal as at the time it was very intimidating and it has subsequently upset my previous perspective of the sea and what lives in it - I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I would dearly like someone to prove that this was a figment of my imagination but at present my memory is vivid and I can rerun the 'video' in my mind of what happened. I would like to think that I have made the right moves in bringing this to peoples attention but would now like to slip back into anonymity into the engineering world as I probably have contributed as much as I can and work pressure is building up. I will keep in touch with the Tonmo site and look out for any new developments but meantime I will have to concentrate on things 'engineering'.

PS I forgot to mention I am writing an article for the yachting magazine 'Practical Boat Owner' under the 'lessons learn't' section which will contain a description of the delivery trip and the 'encounter'. Dick Everett, the Deputy Editor will be involved and an illustration will be created which should accurately portray what I have seen. I hope this article will be of interest, especially the illustrations, and this will probably be as far as we can all go with this one - I am feeling a little 'burnt out' with it and need to turn my attention to other things.

Tim Stress Eng;116309 said:
PS I forgot to mention I am writing an article for the yachting magazine 'Practical Boat Owner' under the 'lessons learn't' section which will contain a description of the delivery trip and the 'encounter'. Dick Everett, the Deputy Editor will be involved and an illustration will be created which should accurately portray what I have seen. I hope this article will be of interest, especially the illustrations, and this will probably be as far as we can all go with this one - I am feeling a little 'burnt out' with it and need to turn my attention to other things.

That would be really cool! :cool2: Definitely share that with
the group!

Vince

This was one of the threads I constantly looked up to check for updates.

Perhaps someone on TONMO who may have a subscription or purchased this magazine step forward to help out, it'd be a shame to let something like this go to waste.

Hi Everyone, I have been very busy with things engineering but also have spent a small ammount of time trying to search for any evidence that give some support to my descriptions of the large red glowing object that approached the underneath of the yacht in 1994 but without success!
I will get an illustration created of the 'visitor' but as yet have not written the article for the yachting magazine.
Here is a foolish idea. Put a model of my described glowing diamond mesh object in a dolphinarium and see the responce of the inhabitants - low cost and relatively easy. If such creatures exist they possibly could be recognised by intelligent marine mammals.
Thanks for your interest Scott Cassel and the discussions. I have scientific freinds here in the UK who are proposing the use of a towed array to send percussion signals into the deep. Maybe this combined with an outline shape of a humpback may attract a visitor to the surface if such a creature exists?

i have read a little about the encounter and it sounds very intresting.I wounder if i can link thise thread to another swedish saltwater site? they will probaly think thise is intresting

Hi Blackis, From my time in Finland I know that there is an interest in the sea and its creatures together with the possibility of these creatures existing. Can you look for any local information, legends, fishermans tales etc? I have heard of Norwegian stories of large sea creatures attacking small vessels???!!! A question for any one - I have heard that sonar at 38.9 KHz will pick up squid as a signal - can we spot squid on sonar/fish finders? Please post any relevant info on this thread. Is there any likelyhood of a practical experiment being able to reproduce the encounter described? Have the military (worlds navy's) any records of unusual sonar responses?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back