• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Sick cuttlefish

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Registered
I woke up this morning to find a very sick Chubbs. He's maintaining a pale white color, will not accept food and avoids swimming under his own power. He drifts through the tank on the current until he finds his way into a stable spot. I put in a big piece of algae and helped him grab onto it.

Tank parameters are all pretty much normal. No ammonia or nitrite, trace of nitrate. Temperature is currently 78 degrees, SG 1.026, pH slightly low at 8.1. His tank mate Checkers shows no sign of trouble.

Chubbs is the larger, stronger cuttlefish. He didn't eat his frozen food last night and was too sick to even notice live food this morning. He shows no sign of any injury.

Any ideas?

Dan

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Registered
marinebio_guy;80648 said:
It could be old age. Whenever I've seen a cuttlefish float at the surface and not accept food they will usually die shortly after.
He's not floating at the surface, but seems to be neutrally buoyant. He's about 5 months old. If this is old age I'm disappointed because I expected a little more time with them!

I just got back from my LFS who confirmed with their expensive test kits that my water is pristine.

Dan

Some indications of old age are loss of the ability to regulate bouyancy, they sometimes also let there tenticles and arms hang down. Anyway, if all of your parameters are ok it will be hard to determine what it could be . Often when cuttle are starved they will float not that I'm saying yours is its just the only other thing that could cause bouyancy problems. Six months is a little on the short end as far as life span but it could be possible.

:sad: Oh no... hang in there Chubbs, your brothers and sister are pulling for you in Pennsylvania. It does sound like old age though, I don't think you did anything wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuroraVK

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak