Shevia - O.hummelincki

corpusse;168336 said:
Not to hijack JMP's thread but can someone explain why Koralias are better? Other then being the cheapest I just don't see any advantage in them.

I don't mind! I started the dicussion and I am learning from it! So, Thanks!!!

IMO there is no positive comparison. I use one of those in our livingroom tank (the intake tube is pushed into a piece of PVC that draws under a pseudo undergravel filter (I do not recommend under gravels, this was the first octo tank we ever set up and I would not do it this way again). You will still have the problem with the high suction at a single point (unless you do something similar to our set-up) and will have to worry about the octopus removing the small filter at the bottom (I am not sure ours have those as they are quite old but I remember seeing a similar screen around and if it is the same, it will likely be removed quickly). The output is also very directional and forceful.

Do note that there are dozens of ways to set up at tank and that I try to qualify my answers based on what I have experienced. In this case, the recommendation is very strong as this is the only in-tank water mover I will use (we will probably put one or two of the old Koralia's in the above mentioned tank and shut down the Maxi-Jet), but for other opinions (most will be similar to Sabrina's and mine) you can search for additional discussions by Googling "koralia site:tonmo.com" (without the quote marks). We do have a search engine but you will be more successful using google for this topic.

I guess we have different ideas of what a "standard" powerhead is. Koralias or their design type basically is standard for any size tank that a non dwarf octopus would be going in.

Maxijets and other smaller powerhead types are pretty useless in larger tanks unless you modify them. They don't produce very strong flow and the flow they do produce is much more directional. Everyone has them in their house and they are useful for other things like premixing saltwater, but I would not put one in a non nano display tank. Even in a nano there are better options these days.

I'm not saying don't use Koralia's but I would not feel comfortable saying they are anything close to the best. If your budget allows I'd recommend going with Tunze's or a higher end brand. You do get what you pay for.

Since the Koralia's have come out I've sent quite a few back to Hydor. I originally bought 3 K4's when they originally came out, one died, another leaked electricity. I've had several of the K4's leak. I basically had my reef tank crash because 2 of the 3 were leaking and I couldn't figure out what was wrong. All of my snails couldn't move in the current and died and polluted the water. They have been somewhat resigned lately, but hydro is not the best brand imo. When one of my friends went to MACNA 2 years ago he brought with him about a dozen of the powerheads and dumped them at the hydro table for them to replace (which they did).

I'm still using 2 of these replaced powerheads in my octopus tank, however they are on my long list of things to one day be replaced. When I heard several people say they are the best, I was quite surprised. They do work, hydro has good customer service, and the price can't be beat unless you go with the really cheap china knock offs, but their failure rate does seem higher then the more expensive brands.

My information may be out of date, as I have no experience with the newer versions of the powerheads, but I just thought I'd share why I don't consider them the best.

btw JMP I love your pics!

I use two large maxijets with the impellar upgrade in my 8' long tank and they push plenty of water and I've yet to have any octopus issues and my octopus would even sit right on them.

Thanks for the input everyone!
On another note. We were discussing name tonight, and my fiance is praying he (still not for sure) is a she and that she's pregnant (longshot buddy:wink:). So we are running into an issue on trying to decide names. He says Sheba! If he is a he, that would be immasculating him!!!! So, we are still debating!! :confused:
So, IT is still unnamed.... :sad:

Everyone has them in their house and they are useful for other things like premixing saltwater
:lol: Corpusse, Have you been peeking into my salt mixing tank? I did not mention that I have 4 others that I have removed from full time use and use them for various temporary needs, including mixing saltwater :wink:.

Sorry, I was laughing so hard at Corpusse's comment, I missed your note on wishing for a female. As Skywindsurfer says in the next post, you do not want this to be the case. It is what it is, of course, but there is no hope, kressel or not, of hobbiest raising small egg species. We did have one hobbiest keep a few alive for 21 days and another for 11 but it is just not happening until we break the code on how and what they eat and what makes an ocean flow through system different than a home aquarium (flow through's being the only successes and those are limited and where I have found documentation, the survivors only lived about 5 months). The large egg species are difficult but we have had a few successes with a limited number of hatchling survivals (Mama Cass and Tatanka - O.briareus - being the most current and O. mercatoris the most common and easiest - not to be confused with easy).

I hate to bust your bubble, but unless you have a psuedokreisel and some knowledge/experience with paralarval rearing your not going to have much luck if you get a batch of viable eggs. O. Hummelincki is a small egged species with planktonic young.

I am trying to bust his bubble!!! :lol: I think he is a he, and that's good for me! Either way, I am not ready for babies (octopus that is :wink:)!!!! This is our first octo, and I'm just happy with him!!

I tried today but no luck. So I will try again tomorrow!!!
Here are two I already have, but not very clear!

Attachments

• conv_297523.jpg
    conv_297523.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 99
  • conv_297524.jpg
    conv_297524.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 97
  • conv_297525.jpg
    conv_297525.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 108
  • conv_297526.jpg
    conv_297526.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 103

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back