Shevia - O.hummelincki

We all use the Koralia powerheads. The other kinds can really damage the octopus. Many of us have learned that when it comes to octopus care, while your LFS seems to have some understanding, in gerneral LFS havent a clue.

Also octopus need a very high oxygen rate. Some of us also keep an airstone in our sump so that we can be sure the gas exchange works properly. I did this because I dont have a way of testing the O2 in the tank and it helps me feel a little bit less worried about them.

Powerheads are considered dangerous, octopus could get injured so most of us use karolias. D has even noted that one of her octopuses used it to help shed suckers. While not completely safe, karolias are much safer.

Oops, Sabrina, we were typing at the same time.
You know what they say about great minds!

sk252006;168293 said:
We all use the Koralia powerheads. The other kinds can really damage the octopus. Many of us have learned that when it comes to octopus care, while your LFS seems to have some understanding, in gerneral LFS havent a clue.

Also octopus need a very high oxygen rate. Some of us also keep an airstone in our sump so that we can be sure the gas exchange works properly. I did this because I dont have a way of testing the O2 in the tank and it helps me feel a little bit less worried about them.

Why do you feel Korolia's are safer?

I'm using them right now, but only because they are cheap. I see no reason why they would be safer then Tunze, or Vortechs. In fact I'd say they are less safe since Korolias are prone to leak electricity.

As for oxygen your skimmer should take care of oxygenating the water in addition the flow by powerheads / return pump.

sk252006;168293 said:

Oh! Thank you! We are figuring out that some of the LFS, have no clue. We did find a guy however that used to sell them, so he seems to be better!

I tried to feed him a krill again this morning. He is having nothing to do with it! He touched it then moved away. He didn't even play with the stick today (No fun)!!! So I guess it will be back to the LFS and get some more emerald crabs. And I think we may order some fiddlers from Paul.... Hopefully we will have a name in the next few days!
I also tried putting two lego's in. But again, he isn't having anything to do with me right now.... :frown:
He stayed out when I put them in.... Just stayed away from them...

You may try dragging the krill along the substrate or rocks. I find that using motion to help simulate live prey helps with picky eaters. I used this technique with my first O. Briareus & O. Hummelincki, as well as a small group of S. Pharaonis(spelling?).

Another vote for the Koralias over any other kind of power head (there are two in the tank I referenced). We have had one fatality with a small cuttle that apparently tried to catch something on one and lost its tentacle and a couple of suspect arm tips on octos but they are by far the most used in an octopus tank (anything else need octo proofing). I try to shelter the intakes by surround them with rock. I am not sure if this matters though. Two of my briareus have used them to aid in sucker shedding and I was able to video one incident. Be careful not to oversize them. I bought the largest for our big tank (deep 140 gallon) and they are way to powerful. I just picked up 4 of the new models at a huge price savings (they may have been accidently priced because when I went back to look and post a note the price had doubled) and they are supposed to run at half the power consumption of the original models.

I too love Koralias. I have watched my octopuses stick there arms in them on a number of occasion and either nothing happenes or they just stop the propeller,this was with both my larger octopodes, O.briareus, and O.vulgaris(i think).

With Koralias if the octopuses arm gets sucked in it can normally get it out with out much problem. With the others if it gets sucked in it normally gets chopped off and its possible the octopus will get even more damage.

sk252006;168337 said:
With Koralias if the octopuses arm gets sucked in it can normally get it out with out much problem. With the others if it gets sucked in it normally gets chopped off and its possible the octopus will get even more damage.

Why? Just because they are not as powerful as other powerheads or is there a design reason? They all seem to use similar impellers.

SK pretty well said it from my point of view, you get good output with very distributed input so the input does not need a netting that has to be cleaned regularly. There are some high end units that do the same thing but a typical powerhead uses a tube intake and must be shielded or the octo will investigate the inviting hole and lose an arm. Being fully submersible, are also relatively easy to place anywhere in the aquarium. They are not, however and more aesthetic.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back