• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

RIP Sir Eric Denton

He, along with J. B. Gilpin-Brown, wrote the paper that I based my thesis on (Denton E. J. & Gilpin-Brown J. B. 1961a. The distribution of gas and liquid within the cuttlebone. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom, 41: 365-381).

In the 1960s, they analyzed the gas inside a cuttlebone - I refined their findings (and found some errors :oops:) using more advanced equipment (I did my work in the 1990's). They were both amazing scientists.

RIP Sir Denton

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
Many papers on the bouyancy of ammonoids refer to the work of Sir Eric Denton and his collaboraters on Nautilus. Alas, I only recognize the name and not the real person.

RIP Sir.

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Rest In Peace to the man who helped demonstrate buoyancy in ammonites based upon his work in cuttlefish, spirula, and nautilus. A long life very well-lived. May heavenly tentacles waft him to his final reward.

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
In a tribute of sorts, I encourage the denizens of "Fossils and History" to meander over to "Physiology and Biology" and discuss spirula a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaneMom6800

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak