Resurrected [Old Board Archive]: Documentaries

... doesn't look too good for the squid, does it. Hmmmmm. There goes my credibility and career .... :frown:

Do you think the squid could hunt in packs? What was that term invented last year (old board) for a hoard/pack of squid?

A squad of squid? Got to make this REAL mean!! Howz about a 'Terror of Squid'. Why am I so brain dead? I might have to resort to frightening or unnerving my debating colleague with rather unexpected body movements, facial contortions, blood-curdling screams .... and then pull out a chainsaw and deal to them.

Steve O'Shea said:
... doesn't look too good for the squid, does it. Hmmmmm. There goes my credibility and career .... :frown:

I don't know - all the whale has is the bite whereas the Giant Squid has multiple weapons and various areas to attack. I think what you'd need is a kamikaze squid to jump in its mouth and stay there as long as possible. Whale/GS encounters do seem to end up fatal to the squid but the whale is also often found dead too (if we can put faith in those accounts) - this wouldn't be so bad if the dead squid was the Suicide Squid which gave the others a chanc eto kill it.

Now here is an idea - find a D&D nerd and get them to work out weapon strengths and hit points and offer to play them at a game of 'Whale vs Giant Squid' start just one on one and then play again with more than one GS :wink:

Steve O'Shea said:
Do you think the squid could hunt in packs? What was that term invented last year (old board) for a hoard/pack of squid?

A squad of squid? Got to make this REAL mean!! Howz about a 'Terror of Squid'.

I like it - you could have:

A Panic Of Giant Squid or a Fear of Giant Squid

A Terror of Colossal Squid

or try for something that brings the full trouser filling terror of seeing a pack of them - a trouserful or a pantload?

Steve O'Shea said:
Why am I so brain dead? I might have to resort to frightening or unnerving my debating colleague with rather unexpected body movements, facial contortions, blood-curdling screams .... and then pull out a chainsaw and deal to them.

We'll call that Plan B :wink:

Emps

Avast Steve,

Instead of a mature physeter,show Messie giving the Cuisinart treatment to a calf. If Peter Benchley calls to threaten legal action, point out to him that his scenario in "Beast" involved a bastardized Architeuthis. Besides, he got his inspiration from an old pulp story, "Jackal of the Deep." I wonder if some of the jaw deformities found in Sperm whales aren't complications from injuries inflicted by squid, say, a bone-scraping snap from a beak, or an abcess formed around an embedded claw.

Or, toss the Sperm whale out the window and use a smaller squid-eating odontocete: "Messie vs. Pygmy." The poor whale gets a Taningia sized echo-locating return, only to find it's painted a Messie turned end-on to the whale's head. Surprise!

Much as I like the idea of using a Messie model to predict sonar returns of the genuine article, I'd guess that the model would have to have the same consistency to give an accurate result. A stiff plastic Messie would probably reflect a larger sonar return than the more absorbtive squid-flesh.

The notion of towing the model past whales is brilliant. Could you rig the model with sensors that register echo-locating hits? Could you reel the model in fast enough after ringing the dinner bell?

:heee:

Clem

Clem said:
Could you rig the model with sensors that register echo-locating hits? Could you reel the model in fast enough after ringing the dinner bell?

Avast Clem, this is genius!! I asked whether taking the squid to a certain locals in NZ (Kaikoura) where there are tons of young bulls was an option; unfortunately it wasn't .... but this really is a bonanza of an idea!! Maybe I'll press the matter (the bottom line is always $$).

Unfortunately you don't get female or calf sperms in the Antarctic; it appears to be males only (from what I've read). The literature I've reviewed might be a bit old, but what I have read is the smallest male harpooned in the Antarctic was 36 feet in length, with almost all others > 39 feet. It looks like it's a Colossal, or Trouser-full of Colossals vs near-full-grown male sperm whale.

The truth, that the calves/females aren't that far south, is just too interesting to 'strategically' overlook for the sake of a debate (and if my oponent knows a bit about these animals, and I suspect they do :wink: , then I could come out of it with a red face).
Cheers
O

..... actually, you could be on to something there. It's just way tooooooo dangerous down there for the women and youngins. Maybe they do go down, but just don't live long enough to tell the tale.

Females and calves are temporary citizens in the Antarctic!

Clem said:
Much as I like the idea of using a Messie model to predict sonar returns of the genuine article, I'd guess that the model would have to have the same consistency to give an accurate result. A stiff plastic Messie would probably reflect a larger sonar return than the more absorbtive squid-flesh.

does ballisitic jelly float? i know its made to act as human flesh does, but it might give a more realistic sonar signature than something hard... you could use the current model to make a mold and crank out a few disposable jelly squid to use around whales....

im not sure what its made of, but law enforcement (fbi comes to the top of my minds list) and i guess gun companies use it to analyze the path a bullet takes as it passes through....

Steve O'Shea;15495 said:
Resurrecting an old thread.

Here's the deal. Hypothetically speaking :wink: , if you had a life-sized model of Mesonychoteuthis :meso: , and someone was taking it out to sea (hypothetically speaking of course), and you could do anything you wanted with it (other than destroy it), what would you like to see it doO
i would totally use it as a canoe then have it attack a small boat to test a few legends then i would clone it, keep the two in captivity and observe the mating habbits, YES IM JUST LIKE THAT

And just where were you in 2003 when we needed your valued input in this?:wink:

:welcome: by the way!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back