Quota the catch or quota the effort

Cephkid

Sepia elegans
Registered
Steve O'Shea said:
It makes sense to have observers do this sort of work, but the problem lies in the diversity of species retained in these trawls/dredges. For instance, here are a few pics of typical bycatch (invertebrate) from a scampi trawl. Very(!!!) few scientists can identify this stuff, so the expectation that an observer without formal scientific training could do it would be a bit much. If you asked me to identify the finfish bycatch then I'd struggle (my expertise is with invertebrates only). Finding someone with skills in both invertebrate and fish identification would be a major challenge!

Anyone want to have a guess as to what these animals are? They're not the most charismatic of beasts, but they are important nevertheless.

Uhhh...Ophioderma spp(?) and Asterina or Fromia spp(?)
Fromia spp(?) a Sea Apple or Sponge (Medusa coral?) and Crabs.
Crabs. (Arrow, or Blue?)

Hey, he offered a chance to guess, I took it.

We have over fished almost everything that's edible in the ocean for the pass like what? 50 years? The ocean can only absorb the loss of a few more entire ecosystems before the whole thing collapses like a pile of bricks right on our heads. There is no sustainable fishery, we have gone to far down the road of destroying our planet to have anything that can be salvaged and be restored to even what would be a shadow of its former self.

But to heck with it! We all love our favourite diarrhea fish which were caught by obliterating said fish's habitat. After all, global warming is just a myth, just like the myth and nonsense about the "harms of bottom trawling" Pfff..everyone knows that bottom trawling is done on clear sandy beds without harming the environment! If we've done in for years, why not continue, it'd be one heck of a way to go, engineering the destruction of the entire human race by trawling some place that nobody would probably see. HOOOYA!

/depression.

Cephkid

Sepia elegans
Registered
chrono_war01 said:
We have over fished almost everything that's edible in the ocean for the pass like what? 50 years? The ocean can only absorb the loss of a few more entire ecosystems before the whole thing collapses like a pile of bricks right on our heads. There is no sustainable fishery, we have gone to far down the road of destroying our planet to have anything that can be salvaged and be restored to even what would be a shadow of its former self.

But to heck with it! We all love our favourite diarrhea fish which were caught by obliterating said fish's habitat. After all, global warming is just a myth, just like the myth and nonsense about the "harms of bottom trawling" Pfff..everyone knows that bottom trawling is done on clear sandy beds without harming the environment! If we've done in for years, why not continue, it'd be one heck of a way to go, engineering the destruction of the entire human race by trawling some place that nobody would probably see. HOOOYA!

/depression.
I'm with stupid.:diamond_trans: :wink: (Agreements all around).

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
chrono_war01 said:
... before the whole thing collapses like a pile of bricks...
Heavens; there's a leak, a spy ... someone has been reading my mail! There's a forthcoming Greenpeace release (July) wherein we refer to this as the 'Jenga principle'.

What is so blinkin' frustrating is how few people seem to be paying attention! It's not just the oceans either....entire ecosystems in tropical rainforests are being clear cut or slashed and burned out of existence. We're losing species we didn't even know were there. ARRRGGGGhhhhh!

sorseress said:
What is so blinkin' frustrating is how few people seem to be paying attention! It's not just the oceans either....entire ecosystems in tropical rainforests are being clear cut or slashed and burned out of existence. We're losing species we didn't even know were there. ARRRGGGGhhhhh!

um, er, is anybody paying attention??? Its not just tropical rainforests or seamounts: here's a small news item from 2002 . . . . .

REUTERS: USA: July 26, 2002

NEW YORK - A new species of poisonous predator - a tiny centipede that may well be the world's smallest - has been discovered in Central Park, the heart of the nation's largest city, scientists said this week.
The Central Park centipede, which lives in the leaves and sticks littering the park, is so unusual that scientists have classified it as the only species in a completely new genus.

If we havn't identified what lives in Central Park, how can there be any chance of identifying the deepsea critters?

True, but it absolutely hurts to think that we are causing such destruction on such a massive scale all across the globe. Sure, we pay attention, and lots of other people do too, but the majority not only don't know what's going on, they don't seem to care. I wish.....well, there are a lot of things I wish, but if the media would spend half as much time on science and environmental stories as they do on celebrity drivel maybe a few more people would start to care.

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Don't know if I agree with that...there is a plethora (and not a plethora of pinatas) of scientific programming on tv today...the base is that people typically care about their personal surroundings, and the immediate effects of those surroundings, rather than taking the long view.
What we need is rather a change in human mentality.

greg

Cephkid

Sepia elegans
Registered
cthulhu77 said:
Don't know if I agree with that...there is a plethora (and not a plethora of pinatas) of scientific programming on tv today...the base is that people typically care about their personal surroundings, and the immediate effects of those surroundings, rather than taking the long view.
What we need is rather a change in human mentality.

greg
Amen.