• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Questions about Sumps [retitled]

part 2

b. Most of the energy is holding water up, a little to flow. This is the pinhole, and the water level in the vent is near max pump head.

c. Half the energy is holding water up, half to flow. For the sake of argument lets say the water level is halfway up the vent.

d. A little of the energy is holding water up, most to flow. The water level in the vent is just a little bit above the outlet.

e. None of the energy is holding water up, all to flow. The water level in the vent is at the same level as the outlet, no higher.

Nope, it's all about pressure, not about energy. When you open the pinhole, there is some drain that reduces the pressure. This leads to two things: the water level goes down, and the pump sees lower pressure at its outlet. As soon as the pump sees lower pressure at its outlet, its efficiency goes non-zero by a bit, so it starts to generate flow. The heat it's putting out goes down a bit. When we reach our steady state, the water in the vent has gone down a bit, so there's less force (and less potential energy) coming from above, just enough to equalize the pressure to the pressure down by the pump that will cause it to have the same flow into the system as is going out of the system at the pinhole. If the pressure from the water above the pinhole were any less, then some water flow from the pump would raise it; if the pressure from the water were any more, then the pump wouldn't be able to move enough water to go out the pinhole, so some of the water from the column above would go out the pinhole, in addition to what's coming up from the pump, so there is a feedback system that makes the height of the water above the hole just the perfect amount given the amount of flow the pinhole allows. (the amount of flow the pinhole allows will jitter around a bit as all this settles out, because the pressure at the pinhole will change as the height of the water seeks the appropriate place, but when it's all settled that won't matter.)

This will pretty much extend to your cases b through e-- as the hole resists the flow less, there is less need for backpressure to keep stuff from going up the vent, 'cause most of it's going out the hole eventually. If the hole is so big that water goes out of it faster than the pump can pump against the rise and the resistance from the pipes, then it'll all go out the hole (and any excess capacity of the hole will have let out any water that was up in the vent before we opened the hole, but that's part of the transient behavior we're ignoring).

Your drawing of what you take as maximum efficiency physically looks like d. There is a few inches of water above the outlet. I believe your argument is that once the energy was used to lift the water there it doesn't need to be used again and the pump is working at max efficiency to move water. If that were correct, then wouldn't the pump also be working at maximum efficiency in b., the pinhole? Would it be at maximum efficiency regardless of the height of water in the vent? Do you believe the pinhole has the same efficiency?

It's certainly like d, although from Thales' experiment, it sounds like real sump systems have more flow restriction than I realized, so maybe it's more like c. And yeah, in b. the pump is working at the max efficiency it can given the limit of the pinhole. That's part of why I have a problem with "max efficiency"-- if you restrict the outlet of the closed system to a pinhole, with no vent at all, the pressure will go up because of the increased resistance, and the pump will work at almost zero efficiency there, too.

The logical conclusion to this line of reasoning is this: If we agree the pinhole is less efficient than your drawing, then isn't any water level below your drawing going to have a higher efficiency?

I'm arguing that the water level will seek the appropriate height where it doesn't change the efficiency from whatever efficiency the closed system had, so sure, the pinhole will be less efficient, and the water will accommodate that.

Here's another interesting thought: if you put a plug with a pinhole in my drawing's line before the vent, then the pump will be doing the same amount of work, fighting the same amount of backpressure, and getting the same amount of flow, but there will be no water in the vent, and the water will drain to the octo tank faster than it can get through the pinhole. In that case, the pump is running at the same efficiency, but it's not holding up any water at all. The stored energy that has been bugging you about the water column has now been pushed back to deformation of the pipes before the plug, or similar. But the pump experiences all the same physics down at its outlet, but none of it is doing anything to the vent....

And by the way, if I seem overconfident, it's because I spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder. :arr:

Anyway, whaddaya think? I don't have a sense that I was grasping at straws anywhere there, although I have to admit that it's counterintuitive that the pump running at low or zero efficiency is not actually putting energy into fighting the resistance in the steady state, I believe it's one of those counterintuitive-but-true things...

I "kind of" see the argument, but I still disagree that without some energy being expended (since it is a pump and not a table or a shelf) there would not be the force to keep the water at a given level.

We're discussing two very different types of force, and the kind created by the pump requires energy.

monty;93319 said:
Anyway, whaddaya think? I don't have a sense that I was grasping at straws anywhere there, although I have to admit that it's counterintuitive that the pump running at low or zero efficiency is not actually putting energy into fighting the resistance in the steady state, I believe it's one of those counterintuitive-but-true things...

Monty, the only disagreement I have is the one you're touching on here in this paragraph, which is the keystone to the entire discussion. I believe the pump is putting energy into fighting the resistance (Hearts and minds?), and to support that I submit the empirical observation that the water behaves like the helicopter, the hovercraft or the bucket of water over my head: turn off the energy, and the mass comes back down.

If we're at an impass, I should be able to perform the experiment within a couple weeks, and yes, you'll have input on the design :smile:

Dan

DHyslop;93384 said:
Monty, the only disagreement I have is the one you're touching on here in this paragraph, which is the keystone to the entire discussion. I believe the pump is putting energy into fighting the resistance (Hearts and minds?), and to support that I submit the empirical observation that the water behaves like the helicopter, the hovercraft or the bucket of water over my head: turn off the energy, and the mass comes back down.

If we're at an impass, I should be able to perform the experiment within a couple weeks, and yes, you'll have input on the design :smile:

Dan

Sounds good to me... I'm picturing the unveiling of a complex Rube Goldberg demonstration at TONMOCON II involving a lot of people in the audience getting soaked. Because, well, that's what science should be like, right?

Of course, I need to figure out if I can actually get to Florida for it, still.

I'm all for Rube Goldberg devices, but as I previously pointed out it would need the requisite 'Rube Goldberg music.' The Truffle Shuffle may suffice, however.

I won't be at TONMOCON, so the demonstration will probably occur within my soon-to-be garage.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back