• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $50/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

PROBLEMS CYCLING THE TANK!

okay i realize this is a octopus website but I AM NOT GETTING AN OCTOPUS, my tank is too small for one :frown: all i want is a couple seahorses. can anyone give me advice for seahorses??? do they even like live rock?? because my tank is small i dont have alot of room for both rock and hitching posts, i dont want a reef tank, i just want a couple seahorses. im going to get a starfish and a golbie or w/e for waste clean up. an undergravel filter ive been told will do fine for them.
i dont have a skimmer because i dont think im really going to have that much waste and if there is i will hook up my second filter. if i absolutely need 30lbs of rock, is there a different method to cycle the tank without taking the rock that I already have out? i have a little sea-worm thingy living on one of my rocks lol i enjoy watching it move its little arms around, and i dont want to get rid of it.

Castor

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I think an undergravel filter would do ok, I've never had much faith in ther, OTOH an 1 1/2" of sand should be able to house more than enough bacteria to carry out the nitro-cycle. How about the greener type filters, i.e., live plants? I'm not sure on the particulars, but I've heard from a couple guys into reefs how they are little miracles. Can anyone else confirm this? What kind are you looking at getting? Kudas are the most popular, as far as I can tell. I assume thiss, because of availability. Well, I'll leave the rest up to the experts.

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" :biggrin2:

Feelers

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I have seen under gravel filters on sea horse tanks and they were doing well. Everyone here generally don't reccommend them for octos- but for seahorses who wont dig in sand and dont require premium water quality they do the job.

You dont need to take the existing rock out, when you are cycling a tank with no inhabitants you can do what you want - as nothing's gonna die. But things like adding new rock will stir the cycle as everything re-adjusts.

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
AAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH
Where,oh where, is that smilie that we need ???? Bang!