• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Preserved cuttlefish wanted for student observation

Lab manager

Hatchling
Registered
Hello,
I am the lab manager at a university in Georgia. I am looking to add a preserved cuttlefish to our collection for students to study in lab. So far, I have had no luck at all locating one. Can anyone provide me with where I can obtain a preserved cuttlefish?

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Preservative question

Paradox,

Does alcohol work as well as Formalin? I have a baby octo that I put in formalin (13% formaldehyde, I think, but also used about 1/2 water) that I would like to let my grandaughter take to school but am concerned about the preservative. If I can put it in isopropyl alcohol, I would feel better about letting her take it.

Also, since I have already used the formalin, is mixing a bad idea?

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
Steve's article says that once a big squid is fixed in formalin, it's OK to put it in alcohol:

Preservation
Following the month in formalin solution the specimen needs to be thoroughly soaked and the mantle cavity gently flushed with low velocity water to remove residual formalin and miscellaneous grunge. Three water changes are recommended. Thereafter the specimen can be transferred to preservative, one of either 40% isopropyl alcohol (my preference) or 70% ethanol.

(from http://www.tonmo.com/science/public/squidfixingnotes.php )

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Generally a specimen is fixed in formalin and then transferred to alcohol (either 95% ETOH or IPA) for long term storage and safer handling.

BTW in an emergency vodka or white rum works well!!!!!

J

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
Jean;90937 said:
BTW in an emergency vodka or white rum works well!!!!!
Avoid tequila lest anyone think your specimen is "the worm"... :wink:

Carolina Biological Supply and Ward's Scientific make a less toxic preservative that is safer for students. I don't know if they will sell to an individual though. They usually sell to a school or science based business. Formalin is a fixative, meaning it "fixes" the tissues so they do not decay. Alcohol can be used as a preservative (or fixative) that keeps "fixed" tissues from decaying. Alcohol is not as effective a fixative as formaldehyde.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gary T

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak