Oscars Journal

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Meet Oscar...He arrived by Fedex about 2 hours ago as a replacement from saltwaterfish.com. I acclimated, but secured the top after Ickily's journey around my room, 1/2 hour went by, went to check on him so I cut the wire tie, opened the bag and here's this octopus intent on climbing out of the bag. He would have no part of going back in so I ended up picking him up by hand and putting him in the tank. He sat for a while in the open, and now is sitting under a piece of rock eating a crab. They said he's a Caribbean Reef octopus, whatever that means. I'm thinking he may be a dwarf but Mercatis? Seems to be doing very well so far, so keeping fingers crossed!

Congratulations. I truly hope you have a better time with this one than the past few.

I don't think it's an O. mercatoris. How big is Oscar?

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Oscar has eye spots so I don't think Vulgaris. We just returned home and he was plastered on the front of the critter keeper that has crabs in it. Then crawled back to his den trying to disguise himself I think as a snail. He's very cute and only as big as a golf ball curled up. The pictures are not as clear as I'd like as I do not want to freak him with the flash. Isn't he adorable? I'm so happy!!! I've been octoless for too long. And he's acting very normal for a healthy octo so I really have hope!

Ah, sorry... didn't see those in the first pics. Did you mean to say "I'm thinking he may be a dwarf but not Mercatoris?" How many dwarfs are there from the Caribbean besides mercatoris and joubini?

Beautiful! I would be interested to hear what your new octo turns out to be - how big is he currently? - Oops just seen your reference to size!

Good luck with the new octo, hope to hear more soon

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Welcome to Oscar!

A Caribbean Reef Octopus is another name for O. briareus. But, of course, it could be just any species.

Looking forward to more photos!

Nancy

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
When Ickily died within 24 hours I emailed them asking if there were chemicals used in collection. They replied an owner was going overseas to check out the facility? But Oscar was identified as a Caribbean two spot octopus, so I'm not sure.

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
:welcome: Oscar. Hummelincki is usually the only species named as 2-spot in the Western North Atlantic, but he looks different :hmm: