Ordovician in Tennessee (Help!)

Why not start one yourself entitled something like:

Photographing Fossils - Tips and Tricks

and then a short post saying you are learning to photograph your finds and are hoping to solicit advice in a thread. I am sure Kevin will give some advice as well as a number of others that have struggled getting detail. If it gets enough attention, we can make it a sticky that stays at the top. You might include a note, requesting that the information poster always include a Tip title (through the Go Advanced button) to help keep topics easy to find.

What feature of the 510 made you give up your "deal" to go with the higher end camera?

Photographing Fossils - Tips and Tricks

Good idea.

What feature of the 510 made you give up your "deal" to go with the higher end camera?

12 mp vs. 16.1
14x vs. 42x
gps
Higher resolution and anti-glare on the viewing screen, after using the 500 I just wasn't that impressed, it wasn't a horrible camera, it just wasn't awesome. The 510 was the one I had been looking at online for weeks and I saw the price on the 500 and thought it would be ok, but the extra expense was worth the switch, from what I can tell so far. I don't have much time today but maybe later I'll post a few sample shots!

You are too funny D, I'll just start in Arizona and work my way around the world...:tongue: Seriously though I haven't had time to touch the camera since the first day I got it, still busy tommorrow, hoping to spend time with my camera Thursday and hoping the weather co-operates, too much rain!

DWhatley;193002 said:
Look for something simple, that has good magnification (AND good MACRO autofocus) without having to add lenses. I love my Canon but it is not made any longer (high end automatic but not through the lens viewing). I wish I had better low light and macro (not good) autofocus. I don't see all that well any more :old: but never could focus a camera easily so good autofocus is one of my main criteria (remote firing and low light will be on my must have list next time). The other really helpful thing is the anti-shake stabalization for videos. We are interested in different targets though so I would think sharp macro auto focus would lead the list. DO NOT look at the digital zoom or consider it as part of your target list. OPTICAL zoom is what should interest you most and will produce a true magnification. IMO Digital zoom is software and pretty much worthless in a camera (helpful in printing but I use a computer program for that, not when taking the original picture).

:OOPS: there was another page to the post. I am sure you will like the Nikon though as I see people in love with this line of their cameras AND I think it has an electric remote firing option.

Not to spend your savings ... :sagrin: but one accessory I cannot live without is a tripod. The difference in my pictures is dramatic with and without. They make a variety of very small ones you can use in the field. Some have very bendable legs (not surprisingly called an octopus) but I like the short metal ones with individually expendable legs for stability.

I, now, shoot with Nikon "Coolpix" technology, but, a few years ago, I had some real problems with off-axis astigmatism with some of their glass. After reading some reviews, I bought Fujinon optics(>85% off-axis distortion), then I found a Leupold off brand glass that was coma clear to 90% off axis! Nikon produces one of the finest anti-destablilization products in the field, but why do you need this product? Are you trying to discern a "close double", or viewing a terrestrial landscape?

Nikon produces one of the finest anti-destablilization products in the field, but why do you need this product?
Because Terri will be taking pictures of very small things in the field and neither of us are as interested in our cameras as we are in capturing the image of what we are viewing.

Thanks D, couldn't have said it better myself! But Solius I am interested in photography in general and hope to be using it for multiple purposes, which is why I thought this camera might be good for me, we'll see! Not being a very technologically minded person, learning the settings will be my challenge. I just need to figure out the magic buttons and I'll be good. I can see the reasoning behind having a simpler camera though, that I could stick in my pocket and not worry so much about. That being said I think I'm going to like this camera.

Hi Kevin, have I found a bug? This is from the Ridley Limestone, almost 3cm. long, just over 1cm. wide..

Attachments

• conv_300708.jpg
    conv_300708.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 107
:oops: Sorry, there seems to be some sort of error on the page. I didn't get the first few, until fig. 3 came up, which was the one I found interesting.

Thats what I thought! I'm not sure about the head there are some shell bits scattered around the rock that look suspiciously like trilo parts. The fossil is so small, even with a loupe it's hard to make out exactly what I'm seeing. If I could get a little tighter shot of it with the camera, might could work it out, which I SHOULD be able to do! :roll: I'll go through the pics. I have and see if there are any showing the rest of the rock better. If not I'll have to wait for a little sunlight to get a better shot. :sad:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back