• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

octos at salwaterfish.com

Fini

Wonderpus
Registered
Who knows. I wouldn't doubt they are profit taking a little under the aparent shortage.

I'm trying to be optimistic in the hope that someone starts another successful captive breeding program.

Tako_Poke

O. vulgaris
Registered
You would think with all the experience aquarists here someone at least might try and take on the challenge. I know I would if I had the money and the knowledge. Just think of all that potential cash...

Tako_Poke said:
You would think with all the experience aquarists here someone at least might try and take on the challenge. I know I would if I had the money and the knowledge. Just think of all that potential cash...

Yea, true but after having a big talk of creating a breeding/farm raising thing with octo's, it definately takes a huge lot of money which I wish someone here had because the knowledge is definately there. Most of the money would be used for the big area needed and equipment.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Octopets was on a lagoon, but just rented space. It looked to me like the costs of raising octos, even under the good conditions that Octopets had, is high. I ended up feeling that Octopets didn't charge enough, which is perhaps one reason it went under. After all, they had a whole "crop" of young octos escape back into the lagoon, which set things back a lot

There is at least one person trying to breed bimacs for sale right now - I'll update you when I know more.

Nancy

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
They were just babies, a couple of months old. And I don't think the owner of Octopets was much of a diver!

We all had trouble imagining hundreds of baby bimcs all trouping off into the lagoon.

Nancy

Tako_Poke

O. vulgaris
Registered
Thats terrible. I really feel bad for the guy. On the plus side, the wild population of octos probably just rocketed.

Tako_Poke said:
Thats terrible. I really feel bad for the guy. On the plus side, the wild population of octos probably just rocketed.

To be honest, im not sure about octo population rising. It could be declining depending on species. Lately they have been heavily fished near Europe around Spain and Japan...which are known to be one of the most highly fished octopus countries out there. Their found worldwide, but accorording to octopus fishing statistics...over 10,000 tons of octopus are caught a year. Now this number might seem small compared to "fish" caught a year, but octo's arent as populated as fish are. It's kind of worrying me because like fishermen have said...its impossible to tell if octopuses are getting endagered or not. You cant see off hand since their never seen out in the open...always hidden and camoulflaged so people cant see if a good number exists down there, yet their so easy to catch. Every year the number of octo's caught gets higher.

Whats worse is the delicacy of eating "live octopus" were people take them live whole...tear off their tentacles and wrap them around chop-sticks is getting more and more popular by word of mouth and in the media. It's originated in asia in places like Korea and Japan...and now people from America are trying it and talking about it. Video clips are even on the net and its kinda taken as a joke. Im so disgusted by it because as the years go by, more and more people dont even understand cephalopods other than being food. Everyone iv seen assumes people are using advanced graphic technology when they see an octopus camoulflage on television or change its skin texture to blend it...people are clueless and ignorant.

Right now, Dogs and Sharks have been over commercialized everywhere I go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndyR83

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak