• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

[Non ceph] Monstrous sleeper shark

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Unfortunately, bar the (two foot?) grenadier bumping into this monster, there's no simple reference for size within the videoframe, but the sheer impression of bulk is overwhelming: remember that this is what feeds on Mesonychoteuthis! :bugout:

Edit: Apparently this is already from 1990 and based on the bait cage it was estimated at 7 meters (23 feet) in length... that's BIG.

Mola Mola

Cuttlefish
Registered
I've always found Greenland sharks to be very cool, thanks for posting this. :lol: @ the people who responded to the video, some say such dumb things.

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
can any of you teuthologist hot shots see enough of the squid to ID it? It seems likely to be Dosidicus, but it looked a little longer and thinner...

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Oh, it's Dosidicus alright, just a fairly large specimen; the dimensions change slightly with size, and the camera's focal length makes things slightly more convincing still. I think the specimen being held by the scuba diver is close to seven feet total length, which is very considerable...

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
ob;85158 said:
this is what feeds on Mesonychoteuthis! :bugout:

Impressive, but unlikely to be feeding on Messie! The greenland sleeper shark is restricted to the Arctic and Messie to the Antarctic!

There is however a southern sleeper shark but as far as I know there is no info on it's diet..............but I wouldn't be surprised if they eat each other! (I have found shark skin in Moroteuthis guts!)

Cheers

J

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Forgot that! :oops: thanks for the reminder.....but still isn't the greenland sleeper............bet they eat archi tho!

J

Funny how the title of that youtube vid is "Megalodon"...either someone's been cloning giant sharks, or the user's been ill informed of erm..current affairs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kezrah

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak