• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

[NEWS]: Transvestite Cuttlefish

Amazing...reminds me of something...can't quite put my finger on it...oh yeah... my ex-husband. :P

Clem

Architeuthis
Registered
Heh.

Seriously, though, doesn't this seem like a risky gambit? Even if the younger male cuttles are swifter than their elder competitors, wouldn't some of them be, ah, violated by the males they've duped?

:goofysca:

Clem, Mrs.

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Absolutely horrifying...yikes.
I doubt that the eminent Herr Doktor would be jealous, Kat...but then again, he does listen to NEIL DIAMOND !!!! :shock:

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
The kinky cuttlefish article said:
When the larger males were not looking, the smaller males reverted to their normal colour and quickly mated with the females

Well, 'sneaking' behavior (smaller males being tricksy rather than taking on large competitors head-to-head) is a pretty well-documented reproductive strategy; I did a study on it once in wetas (really big, ugly bugs). Though they hadn't evolved into the cross-dressing phase yet... does seem like it would carry certain, er, risks. :roll:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kezrah

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak