• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

[News]: Scientists Are Sadistics, Arrogant, Cruel, Etc. - ScienceBlogs

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
And kicking me. For some reason these two lads on this website keep supporting me. I had intended to write them a big thanks, as they have gone out of their way to defend me in the past. I don't know if either is a member of TONMO. Does anyone know?

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Not sure Dr. O., I don't believe I've ever seen a post, but I'd be willing to bet they lurk!

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Without meaning to offend any of the more reasonable vegan-types out there, as I've been good friends with numerous examples over the decades, this is something that I've found is unfortunately typical of some of the more extreme, fierce-eyed screaming fanatics. Particularly among college students who were happily eating bacon and eggs with their parents and applying animal-tested cosmetics just the year before when in K-12. Just my jaded observation, and also, good of those two lads who have been defending you, Steve. Any attack on you is an attack on everybody here.

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Registered
erich orser;92011 said:
Particularly among college students who were happily eating bacon and eggs with their parents and applying animal-tested cosmetics just the year before when in K-12.

I've known way too many 'oh, i only eat chicken, maybe salmon' types....

I had a couple of Erich's vegan friends staying with us for a couple of weeks, (along with 3 or 4 regular omnivores) and believe me, they didn't EVER eat chicken or salmon....one of them was even allergic to soy products! Boy was planning meals fun! :banghead:

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Registered
this past year, only one of the captains and i were the only people (the chefs varied by cruise so i'm discounting them) who ate normal.... allergies, veganism, fad diets, unrational dislikes of generic food... you name it.... i felt sorry for the chefs....

i like to pride myself as an omnivore, but this captain had me beat.... any fish we caught in our free time (we keep a few rods aboard) i think he had at least tried, if not liked the roe.... but since he kept the 2nd and 4th watches, i guess i can understand the desire for something interesting for an O'dark-thirty snack... besides, he's a cool cat...

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Man is a scavenger who augments his diet with nuts and fruits, in case we've forgotten. This is why we mostly eat dead animals, some considerable time after their death (21-28 days for US prime corn fed angus). We get our veggies by eating the animal's stomach contents, henceforth almost always vegetarians, as we can not digest greens unaided; haggis entertains this concept to this very day. Since the "invention" of fire and cooking, things became a lot more culinarily challenging :biggrin2:

Fish is a very recent addition to our diet and according to some people I've spoken to, I'm all wrong about poultry being part of the animal kingdom, after all...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PmZkilla

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak