Newbie tank: Temperate or Tropical?

I wouldn't just consider a ground faulted outlet plug, I think it is necessary... I've experienced the "refreshing" feeling of electricity entering and exiting my body a few too many times... :bonk: Plus, I once had a fire start that probably would have been prevented with a grounded the outlet. Probably shouldn't have had an outdoor tank, but that's another story...

Windsbro

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Duly noted. Going to put in a gfi for sure.
The sides are definitely not tempered so I'm good to drill, and have been playing around with some layouts. Will also be going with dual out flows. Tossed around the idea of a skimmer bar but from what I've read they are somewhat inconsistent with their flow. Going to keep looking looking around...
I also found a cheap 20 gallon that will work as a sump. I had some glass handy so I've already cut the baffles, but still need to purchase the tank lol. I'm going to hack the cabinet to make room this weekend; shore up the sides and expand the depth another 6 inches and keep the entire unit 6 inches from the wall. After the alteration I will have nice, easy access down there.
Will post some drawings soon and would love some feedback when I do. Tonmo rules.

When I had a temperate tank, I used AquaLogic chillers. http://www.aqualogicinc.com/water-chillers.htm I used plural, because I had a back up chiller - my tank was outside (under a shade) in Long Beach, California - whenever the chiller failed, it was always the middle of the summer, Friday afternoon at 4:55 pm... The company has great customer service, but they have to be open to help you... You probably won't need a back up chiller, I also kept blue ice in the freezer that I could pop in ziploc bags to float in the tank if I needed.

I don't think you would need a UV sterilizer for your tank.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I keep frozen RO/DI bottled water in the freezer for power failures in the summer. Some years they get a lot of use, others none at all. They work minimally for a warm water tank but it would be pushing it for a cold water environment even in a cooler part of the country. I do have problems with my son sealing them when he goes running but the bottles can be refilled and frozen from my RO/DI unit so it is not really a major battle as long as he does not destroy the bottles.

As CG mentions, UV sterilization is not required and there are a few anecdotal concerns that suggest it may have a negative side. Octopuses (and cephs in general) do not carry the normal fish parasites and those that they do carry inhabit the gills or internal organs and can't be found on the live animal.

Sounds like you are having fun :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Latest Posts