• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New 48" x 24" 150 Octopus or Cuttlefish build

Nolapete

Hatchling
Registered
I acquired a 48" x 24" 150 gallon drilled tank with nice slotted overflow box. I'm leaning towards overflowing into 3-4 socks, then some sort of fluidized kaldnes bed and dual smaller skimmers rather than one larger one.

Caveats to something as simple as this?

Had a thought to use one or more 5 gallon water jugs upside down with pump plumbed into neck as kaldnes bed(s).

What's the best gph 6' plus head pumps with lowest heat transfer? I'm a bit about redundancy, so smaller multiple pumps are more attractive than one bigger one. Probably will have eductor in replacement of each return nozzle.

The purpose of this tank is to end up with a flamboyant group, but will likely start with single octopus or group of bandensis.

My last experience with cephalopods was over 30 years ago when I had what I'm guessing to be O. briareus based on egg size she deposited and being around 2' tip to tip. Had her in 30 gallon show with air powered undergravel filter with crushed coral substrate. She gave me the best experience that I've had in aquarium keeping with her antics and depositing eggs in her cave. Watching those little octos develop then hatch out was amazing.

I know there's all kinds of LED lighting out these days. What's the simplest, cost-effective, way to light 48" x 24" 150 appropriately?

Any input is much appreciated.

:cuttlehi:@Nolapete! My octo systems are even simpler as I only use carbon in my filter socks as chemical filtration, lots of live rock for bio with a single skimmer for mechanical. I have used a shallow sand bed for many years but have switched to bare bottom as my tanks have aged.

O. briareus is one of my favorites and probably one of the easiest to keep. I was lucky to have two tank hatched siblings survive through adulthood but unable to successfully raise their offspring (I did have a very nervous successful mating). O. bimaculatus appears somewhat easier to raise from eggs but are almost impossible to obtain. The dwarf, O. mercatoris is also a possibility if you have an interest in raising eggs but it is a very inactive, nocturnal dwarf and will only appeal to a few keepers.

Have a read through our Posts with Info for New Octo keepers for tank hardware and tank mate experiences.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back