• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Nautilus keeping

Does anyone keep or have in the past kept nautilus on here.

I know you need a really deep tank but thats about it, suppose it would need a chiller but was just wonderin out of intrest.

They look quite mad, what do they eat, is there any guidance at all, as i havnt found any......yet.

Cheers in advance

I'm a college intern at the NRCC.

We have several nautilus so here's a few little tips for you:

Yes, you will need a chiller. I believe the water temperature is around 14-17 celsius.

Any nautilus I have seen have been kept in dim light.

We feed them headless frozen shrimp.

After a while in captivity, all the new shell that grows is discolored and looks malformed.

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Also Scouse, the ones getting sold here are normally (despite my best efforts) sold from tanks with no chiller and in fact tropical conditions!!! It stresses them out and weakens them before they are even sold

nice one, will have a gander. was just intrested really as they look fascinatin an also tryin to corrupt someone into gettin em :lol:

p.s. how deep does the tank have to be an why is that, i imagine they come from the deep so suppose they must like to bob up an down, is it also increased pressure?????

cheers

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
Yes it is pressure related, Nautilus would be quite greatful if given some space for vertical migration as they live pretty deep down 100-300m I believe.

A chiller for them is quite important. We may be warm and toasty up here but not 300m below the sea. :smile:

pheeewww thats deep!!! not surprised they die so often apart from the fact that most sold in tropic cond!!!!

you'd need a whole block of flats knocked through into an atrium to put your tank in!!!! :lol:

hhmmmm theres an idea :idea:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conor Henry

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak