• You are viewing our Exotics and Rare Species forum. Please review our Forum Guidelines and Cephalopod Care Ethics Statement to ensure you are appraised of the dangers and considerations related to pursuing exotics and rare species as an aquarist. Threads in this forum are not featured on our homepage.
  • Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. To contribute to the discussion, register here, and perhaps Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $50/year. Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.

Nautilus copulation

robyn

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Hi all,

Here are some pictures of my nautiluses doing their thing.

I felt kind of rude taking the pictures while they were 'busy' - I admire their dedication, though, even with the flash they didn't stop!

In these pictures the male is on the right, or in the lower half - his tentacles are much thicker than the female's even though the body size is similar. I wonder if its sexual dimorphism to aid with grasping the female...

I've never seen copulation before so I was quite excited. I must say, it requires a certain type of delicate language to explain to people why they should drop what they're doing and come and look at your animals having sex.....

Attachments

• conv_303082.jpg
    conv_303082.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1
  • conv_303083.jpg
    conv_303083.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 0
  • conv_303084.jpg
    conv_303084.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 1
  • conv_303085.jpg
    conv_303085.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1

robyn

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
as an aside, here's a picture of the size difference and pattern difference in an animal from the Philippines (small one) and from Vanuatu (the big one).

Attachments

• conv_291710.jpg
    conv_291710.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 0

robyn

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
yep, these are research animals at the MBL in Woods Hole. They're supplied by two wholesalers in California, but they can be hard to get - I waited about 8 weeks to get these guys.

gjbarord

Sepia elegans
Staff member
Interesting. I never thought about the tentacle size and I am fairly certain that no dimorphism has been reported from nautilus. I will have to look at our nautilus a little closer.

How long have those nautilus been in captivity??

Greg

robyn

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
These guys have been my guests for only about 2 weeks.

Greg - do you have any suggestions about repairing buoyancy regulation in captive animals? These guys are floating, and although they seem quite healthy in terms of eating and mating (evidently), I want them to be able to swim downward through the water column as they would be able to normally. I'm guessing floating is an issue of shipping and fishing procedures - do you (or anyone else) know what exactly is the cause and whether I can do anything to help repair it?

Thanks.

R.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Robyn,
As I recall you got about 6 of these guys several months back. You reported one dying from a possible infection but are the others still alive?

I have found that the term "mating" works pretty well, even with my granddaughter. There is a slight concern though, she (8 years) mentioned that our clown fish was "mating" with one of its hosting anemones yesterday.

robyn

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
yes, they're still all doing fine - the one that died appeared not to have been infectious to the others, which have grown quite a bit, and are chilling out in their tanks enjoying a lighter experiment schedule. They're at my 'normal' university in Brooklyn. These new guys are part of a summer research thing at the MBL.