My new O. Briareus

My new 40 gallon octopus tank.

Attachments

• conv_295759.jpg
    conv_295759.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 117
Ok so the tank is ready to go. I'm just having issues with keeping the temperature steady. Our AC/Heater is messing up with all of this recent cold weather and we had to buy a lot of fire wood and a small room heater to keep the house at 70 F. Well that's the hottest we've been able to get it. Anyways, as soon as I get the water temperature up to a steady 76 then I'm going to move Jewel over. She's moved her den to the other side of the biocube the past few weeks. I think this is because she can see her new home and has just been so anxious to get into it. The other night I caught her draped down over one wall of live rock on the left front side of the tank. She was just hanging there watching my fiance and I walking back and forth from the living room to the kitchen. I thought it was hilarious and took it as she might be hungry. Of course she took her dinner with some delight. Now I just have to find a way to lure her out of all of that live rock so I can pull her out. Any suggestions anyone? I was thinking about taking a long slender tub with a hole on one side and putting a fiddler crab in it. Then when she crawls in, pull out the entire tub and place it in the acclimation bucket. Is it a good idea to try and acclimate her while she's eating?

unorthodox capture

Ok so Jewel decided to play hide-n-seek tonight. I looked all over the tank for her but couldn't find a single sign of her. I asked my fiance and she said that she hasn't seen her all day. Since she's out grown all of the hiding places not visible to me, and since I couldn't see her anywhere in the tank, naturally I became alarmed. I've been wanting to rearrange the live rock in my tank for some time now and figured this would be as good of a reason as any. Plus I could look for Jewel while I did this. With all that live rock and coral lets just say I had one HECK of a time doing that, being ever so careful not to squish any inverts. I finally got the tank rearranged and everything, but still no sign of Jewel. Figuring she'd come out eventually I turned the lights off and went to watch a movie in the other room. After about an hour I checked again, but to no avail. Now I was starting to freak out. We have one cat and three dogs. I knew if Jewel had climbed out of the tank and made a break for it then she would've certainly ended up as puppy/kitty chow. I checked every inch of the area around the tank and there were no signs of a break out. Suddenly it hit me. While I was checking the tank earlier I noticed the sponge in one of the back chambers of the filter wasn't the way it was supposed to be. I had checked under it earlier but didn't think to check the chamber before it that was connected by a hole just large enough for Jewel to squeeze through. So I removed everything above the conjoined chamber and shone a light down into the water. Sure enough through the slotted grate I could see her glittering green flesh. So I then proceeded to scoop her out so that I could place her into the acclimation bucket and get her into her new home. Which I'm sure she's been dieing to bet her little suckers on for some time now. Long story short and almost 20 minutes later I had her in the bucket. Now she's been acclimating for almost an hour now with a drip line and an air stone. All is well. Now back to my movie, and hopefully by the end of it she will be ready to go into her new home.

Ok so the acclimation went smoothly. I think Jewel is much happier in her new home. When I got up the next morning and checked on her she was just crawling all over the tank. I haven't yet seen her experiment with the sarrgasum yet but I haven't been watching her alot since I acclimated her early this morning after midnight, then went to bed and work. I'll watch her more closely tonight when I get home though. On a good note, since she is in another tank and finally out of my biocube I can now take of the hood and put a halide on that system so I can get some more corals. I only have two stoney corals right now and they are doing ok, but I would like to see them do better.

Ok so jewel hasn't eaten anything since I switched her over to her new tank. So this evening when I got home from work I stopped by the pet store and purchased a fidler crab. I'm hoping she'll be entised by the live crab and start accepting frozen again. She's alot more energetic then what she used to. This is a major plus.

So she didn't eat the crab. I found it dead and unscathed this morning. After doing a water changed I tried to feed her again but she still shied away from the food. She's still very active and I'm hoping that this is just a phase and she's just getting used to her new environment.

Ok well jewel finally settled down and started eating again a few days after my last posts. She's all kinds of happy and crawls all over the tank each morning. I even took a 3 minute video of her this morning. I'll try to get it on here when I have soon down time. She's still small, and can only extend half the length of the tank if she really tries. Most of the time she stays balled up on one side of the tank. She is getting more friendly though. I reached into the tank to do some cleaning and we had a little hand on arm time. That was fun.

RIP Jewels

Sadly Jewels died last week. She managed to crawl out of her tank and was found dead on the carpet. :sad: before I get any obvious responses, yes it was covered. I assume she got out through the HOB filter. I would like everyone to know that I am grateful for all of the input I have recieved. Also I will not attempt to put another ceph in either of my small tanks. I am currently working out a trade deal with someone for a 250 gallon aquarium. If I am able to acquire this aquarium I will cycle it and start a new with a larger species, possibly O. Vulgaris. I have read that O. Vulgaris can reach up to 4 feet. Is this a large enough tank for one?

RIP Jewels

:sad:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back