Mimic Octopus

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Steve O'Shea said:
...Actually, there's an interesting thought; anyone know how 'old' flounder are (in the old fossil record)?

Er, just run a search. The flounder group (Pleuronectiformes) are a quite recent group, the earliest examples date from the middle Miocene in the late Tertiary. Octos have been knocking around since the late Jurassic, and possibly earlier. Flatfish rays are known from the earlier Eocene period at least 36 mya, though ray finned fish can be traced as far back as 200mya. I've no idea how closely these Miocene rays were related to the modern flounder.

Pleuronectiformes

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
Steve O'Shea said:
... I mean, do we know for sure that the octopus is mimicing the others; which came first, chicken/egg, octopus/flounder .... who's copying who? Actually, there's an interesting thought; anyone know how 'old' flounder are (in the old fossil record)?

I don't believe that the octopus mimics flounder etc., nor do I believe that the flounder etc mimics the octopus .... It's just telly talk. Whatever eats the flounder would surely eat the octopus ...

I do wonder what stuff in the mimic's habitat eats flounders? the whole place looks really empty.

dragonfish

GPO
Registered
... I mean, do we know for sure that the octopus is mimicing the others; which came first, chicken/egg, octopus/flounder .... who's copying who?

or to take it one step further. if they are such great mimics: is the octopus really an octopus? maybe it's a new flounder species who's great at imitating an octopus?

ok apparently it's time for my medicine again, I'm starting to talk crazy
:jester:

dragonfish

GPO
Registered
probably me,

my last theory is that chers last nose job went wrong and she's able to breathe under water now.

on the other hand, that wouldn't explain the extra limbs. unless... does anyone know the latest progress in plastic surgery?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
um... said:
Heh, heh. Maybe it's really a bizarre type of marine badger. Now who's crazy?

actually!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW who's crazy!

download.php

dragonfish

GPO
Registered
well, there's sealions and seahorses

why wouldn't there be a seabadger

allthough it's not what I pictured it to be
8)

Latest Posts