Making choices for school.

Congrats, Chrono! If you did that well on Maths without studying, that probably means you actually learned the stuff better than people who crammed for the test right before, so I consider that a good thing!

Steve O'Shea;100492 said:
I'd take you in!

I hope you're serious!

Anywho, to reply to some posts above me, BTEC is a vocational course that is SIGNIFAGANTLY easier than IB.

..and I'm also failing Maths and our Chemistry teacher is horrible, I'm seriously thinking about downgrading from Maths to just Math Studies, which sounds much more easier, but I've heard it's a uni application form killer since they don't recognize Maths Studies.

chrono_war01;101620 said:
I hope you're serious!

Anywho, to reply to some posts above me, BTEC is a vocational course that is SIGNIFAGANTLY easier than IB.

..and I'm also failing Maths and our Chemistry teacher is horrible, I'm seriously thinking about downgrading from Maths to just Math Studies, which sounds much more easier, but I've heard it's a uni application form killer since they don't recognize Maths Studies.

Hang in there Eric, it is still the beginning of the school year. Can you get a tutor to help you with Math? Chemistry is hard no matter what, just survive...

chrono_war01;101620 said:
I hope you're serious!

Anything any of us can do to help with the Maths and Chemistry issues? I'm happy enough to talk about math questions, and I suspect there are a lot of others around who could clear up any chemistry woes. Of course, if it's more of a conflict with the teachers, then having help with the material doesn't always help the grades.... I vote for sticking with the harder math: getting a solid foundation on math saves a whole lot of catching up if you go into a field that needs it, which is pretty much any science-related work. (But I might arguably be a math snob, I suppose.)

Are there particular areas you're having trouble with? And maybe some of us have some advice on working around issues with frustrating teachers, too...

I also vote for sticking with the harder math, too. It's probably the teaching that's throwing you off - getting a tutor is a good idea. I've read that you can get good tutoring online, too, but know nothing more about this.

Nancy

Is the fact that they think you should of known everything before entering class that's putting you off, if you need help, they'll tell you either 1, Look it up yourself 2, You should've have learned this or 3, Ask a friend. I had a friend who requested a teacher change, he got it and now he says he's actually understanding what the teacher's saying.

chrono_war01;101674 said:
if you need help, they'll tell you either 1, Look it up yourself 2, You should've have learned this or 3, Ask a friend.

Get used to it--this is what grad school's like, except you might be berated for asking in the first place :lol:

chrono_war01;101674 said:
Is the fact that they think you should of known everything before entering class that's putting you off, if you need help, they'll tell you either 1, Look it up yourself 2, You should've have learned this or 3, Ask a friend. I had a friend who requested a teacher change, he got it and now he says he's actually understanding what the teacher's saying.

Hmmmmmmmm. Tough one, this. There are many 'teaching/learning' styles. This one is quite effective, but does serve to alienate the student and teacher should one of them (either student or teacher) be struggling (and the 'teacher' often does struggle!). A relatively young, anxious teacher might respond in such a fashion. An 'older' teacher who has seen it all before might have a different approach (you wouldn't need to ask for help, as 'teacher' has seen the expression on your face and has offered assistance before you became frustrated).

Re studying cephs, sure Eric! We have an open door policy over here for ceph folk; even year 1 you'd find a desk, computer and pile of bottles here with your name on it.

I'm trying to navitage the AUt Website, but I get totally lost, where should I start if I want to find which faculty/course/whatever you call I should study in.

Searching for Steve O'Shea on the website's search does not help all that much. D:

Hi Eric. I'm a tad shattered right now (to respond in any detail), but if you go to the front page (www.TONMO.com) and click on the EOS 'bumper sticker' it will take you to our page (that is in the process of being updated; it is a year obsolete already). I can tell you that we are in the process of revising the course structure right now, under- and postgraduate, to ensure a natural progression in course content, removal of any duplication in different courses, and introduction of new courses (and staff) for 2008. This is one the (many) reasons why I am rather quiet online right now.

I can assure you that the course options (and course structure) to be run from 2008 onwards are going to be rather engaging!

OMG....it is Dr. Steve O'Shea....wow....lol....I am new here and am a freshman in high school and on my way to a career in Marine Bio and i need to learn more about cephalopods I guess

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back