Isis O. bimaculoides NEW OCTOPUS Surprise from my Husband!

:octorun: I am very glad to hear she is doing well. Looks like you will have your hands full with that little monkey for a long time :fingerscrossed: Does this incident give you nightmares? I had one last night about the one I am expecting tomorrow. This hobby can be as stressful as it is rewarding.

Lmecher;167364 said:
:octorun: I am very glad to hear she is doing well. Looks like you will have your hands full with that little monkey for a long time :fingerscrossed: Does this incident give you nightmares? I had one last night about the one I am expecting tomorrow. This hobby can be as stressful as it is rewarding.

I am very nervous still... she only comes out at night and the trust she once had is shattered. I think she’s eating though I am not sure as I didn’t actually see her grab the crab, it looked like she had something under her webbing though so heres hoping.

Its extraordinarily stressful lol constantly worrying about if they will make it or not, are they eating... and it just goes on and on. Thank goodness it’s also rewarding its much like being a parent lol. You never sleep well again and ALWAYS worry about them.

One of the perks of belonging to the worlds smartest genus of mollusks is that you can learn, through experience, what things are safe, and what things are not. The bad news is that on her walkabout, Isis learned that something about you and/or the world outside the tank is dangerous. The good news is that after repeatedly associating you with food (the ultimate good thing) that same brain will rightly conclude that while the world outside the tank might be dangerous, you are a very nice lady (who brings dinner!). It's inevitable that she'll come to like and trust you again. My current bimac was nearly an adult when I caught it, and didn't take the transition to my tank very well. He chewed the tips of his tentacles off, refused food, hid a lot, and inked easily. After three or four weeks, he settled down, started eating, and within a couple of months he was literally eating out of my hand. He's been doing great, and likes me just fine.

Isis is doing/looking much better today. She is actually out on the glass right now :biggrin2: This is the first time since the escape that she has been happily out and about. She still wont take food from me but she did poop so that tells me she is eating... I had put some fiddlers in there for her to hunt at her own will. Shes not swimming away from me when I try to feed her, she just touches the food and then decides shes not interested and pushes it away. I have tried multiple kinds of food and nothing interests her it seems. I tried shrimp on a stick, clams on a half shell, live crabs... shes just not interested for some reason. I have even tried just leaving the clam in the tank and hope she takes it. The next morning the meat of the clam was sitting there whole while the shell was lying on the sand floor. I kept the tank lights off for a few days. For a while it seemed to help her feel more comfortable with the lights off. Last night in order to get her to start coming out during the day I kept the lights on all night. As I suspected she didnt come out all night and then around 11 she came out and has been out ever since.

Isis is FINALLY taking food from me! I am so excited... I have tried to feed her a little something everyday and she just REFUSED but tonight I offered her some of the big daddy crabs that I got from Paul and she finally took it! I am so excited. Its been 1 week and 4 days since I could confirm that she was eating I was starting to worry. She had been acting a little bit like HP did before she went into hiding and then passed so I was more than a bit concerned. I was so happy that shes eating that I ran to my husband with my son in my arms and jumped saying shes eating! Shes eating! lol. I scared my son and my husband lol. Thank God he understood the excitement.

Lmecher;167784 said:
Congratulations, what a relief. I am sure you'll gain her trust again.

Thank you... I think we are on our way back to trusting. Unfortunately a crab tried to mess it all up. Paul sent me some BIG fiddlers and while I cut the larger of the two claws I don't normally mess with the smaller one. Well today when I went to feed Isis this crab pinched her while I am still holding it and she freaked a little bit and ran away. Thank goodness it wasn't anything to bad but jeeze I wanted to take a hammer to that crab for hurting my baby. After a few min she came back out and I tried with the same crab (after having cut his other claw arm off) and she was hesitant but she took it.

I know that with some octos we simply do not want to hand feed and with Isis at first I didn't want to as she always grabbed my hand to pull it in too. Now however she has learned that I am either not able to be eaten or I am the one who brings the food there for I should not be eaten lol. She will touch me with one of her arms but then slowly moves away, not out of fear or anything I don't think... it seems that she simply doesn't want me touching her for the time being.

Someday maybe I will observe enough to know what pushes the right buttons to have an octopus decide they will accept human "petting" and be able to write up instructions :biggrin2:. I have had two, probably three and a half species (the mercs are the half) that would "request" petting. Both my macropuses liked playing squish (coming into a closed hand and squishing out through my fingers, seeking out and taking a tighter exit route than necessary) as does mystery species Monty. The two hummelincki males (but not the females) I have enjoyed would come to a play area of the tank and be petted (not playing squish but definitely came for hand play when a hand was offered - always none food related) but none of the briareus I have kept have passed the point of investigative touching. I have even wondered if the touchables had internal parasites or itchy skin and the petting scratched an itch. Since all died after going through senescence, parasites are not likely the case but it has crossed my mind that some physical discomfort might have something to do with the interaction.

So I have been noticing some odd markings on Isis. There is some kind of sore? right under one of her eyespots. I will try and take some pictures in a bit. It looks black and the skin still changes color. I am not really sure whats going on at the moment. She seems fine over all just a bit skiddish and the eyespot still maintains its color so thats good. I hope one of the crabs that I put in the tank didnt hurt her.

The couple of times I have seen damage, the tissue was white, black would suggest that the chromatophore were functioning I think so I suspect you are seeing normal coloration. Cassy's last video showed an inch long slice and it is quite obvious the tissue is damaged. She has been out but not so I can look at the arm closely enough to see if normal coloration will return.

I think Isis has lost all trust for me. She wont take any food I try to hand her. I tried to give her new kinds of shrimp and fiddlers but she wont take them from my hand. I put fiddlers in the tank (claws removed) and I see her at times grabing them at will and shrimp is completely off the diet it seems. I wish she would eat something else other than fiddlers. I feed the fiddlers top shelf fish food so hopfully shes getting everything she needs but I still worry.

Other than the eating change her behavior is back to normal. She stays close to the front of the tank and swims like she used to thank goodness. I couldnt handle lossing her too right now.

So, Isis passed away last night.:angelpus: Right after her escape she stopped eating and stopped being social... these were the only two signs something was wrong.

Here are her death pictures. In one of them you can see the eye spot damage I spoke of before.

Isiseyespotpasses12-26-2010.jpg

Isispassed12-26-2010.jpg

You can also see that she had started eating her arms.

I am heart broken. I was so hoping to have more time with her.

I will be taking the 55 gallon down after the 30th (is when my we will be celibrating Christmas because my daughter is out of town right now) and I will began setting up my 75 gallon tank.

Good bye my beloved octopus friend you will be missed.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back