• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Identifying Nautilus Shells

Archi

Cuttlefish
Registered
I was wondering if anyone could help me with identifying these shells, I'm tossing up between Nautilus Macromaphalus and Nautilus Pompilius.

(If it helps, they're from Indonesia)

Attachments

• conv_303122.jpg
    conv_303122.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 869
  • conv_303123.jpg
    conv_303123.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 773
  • conv_303124.jpg
    conv_303124.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 561
  • conv_303125.jpg
    conv_303125.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 509

gjbarord

Sepia elegans
Staff member
Just off of first appearance I would say that they are macromphalus. The key characteristic to look at in regards to nautilus identification is the umbilicus, which is the inner 'coil' of the nautilus at the center of the shell. This is covered in some nautilus and not covered in others.

The striped pattern also appears to be different between those two species. I will double check the ID later today as soon as I can find my reference.

Greg

robyn

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I'll second that - macromphalus (big bellybutton) has an open spiral - these look to be either pompilius or belauensis, and my understanding is that the major differentiating factor between the two is size - belauensis is typically much larger.

Having said that:

The stripe pattern and size is often totally different within the same species - here's a pic of two pompilius from the philippines and vanuatu: so basically I don't know. I would go with pompilius beacuse its more common than belauensis (IIRC)

Attachments

• conv_291845.jpg
    conv_291845.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 6,091

Archi

Cuttlefish
Registered
So, have we concluded a pompilius? I was also wondering if it was different species between the two shells, or if the right one was just a juvenile or different gender.

gjbarord

Sepia elegans
Staff member
What is the diameter of the two shells? Is the picture on the right just a little blurry?? (it looked as if there is a slight spiralling to the umbilicus and looks open)

Is the shell smooth or does it feel like a multitude of "cross-grids" along it?

Greg

Archi

Cuttlefish
Registered
Just to correct my last post, I meant the one on the left, the smaller one. Also, here are the measurements. Hope they help!

Attachments

• conv_291848.jpg
    conv_291848.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 707

gjbarord

Sepia elegans
Staff member
The largest reported size for pompilius, I believe, is 17 cm. So I would think that at least the larger one is not pompilius.

What about the cross-grid texture on the shells??

Greg

Archi

Cuttlefish
Registered
Just remember that I measured from the longest point to the longest point, other specimens may not have been measured that way. As for the texture, there doesn't seem to be any 'cross-grid', rather they have 'bumps' running horizontally (horizontal in the bottom left picture in my first post). It also seems that the smaller one's (the one on the left) 'bumps' are raised quite a bit more than the larger shell (the one on the right).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kezrah

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak