• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

I always wondered about this photo...

Graeme

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Is this a photo of a dying Humboldt? I remember it was circulating round the media about 2 or 3 years ago. If this is a Humboldt then :goofysca: I'll have to remember that next time I'm snorkling... wouldn't want one of these guys coming up and tickling my feet!

Graeme

Attachments

• conv_302565.jpg
    conv_302565.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 64

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
Say, come to think of it, wasn't Steve's distinguished guest Dr Ku rumored to have more information about this animal? Could he perhaps be asked if he'd be willing to further clarify the occasion, and perhaps whether there is a version of the pic that doesn't have the eye doctored in photoshop?

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
In answer to Chrono's post: I personally don't think so, but there are fellow rivet counters amongst us who will claim to have noticed suspect pixelation around the eye. The musculature looks fine to me and there's nothing in the textbooks speaking against reflection in A. dux's retina as a natural photoenhancer for an animal which lives under sparse lighting conditions...

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
ob said:
In answer to Chrono's post: I personally don't think so, but there are fellow rivet counters amongst us who will claim to have noticed suspect pixelation around the eye. The musculature looks fine to me and there's nothing in the textbooks speaking against reflection in A. dux's retina as a natural photoenhancer for an animal which lives under sparse lighting conditions...

I found Matt's analysis pretty compelling:

http://www.tonmo.com/community/index.php?threads/1292/#post-42706

All this means, though, is that someone did something to the photo-- it may not have substantively changed the picture. Perhaps they just thought there was some sort of bad reflection, or maybe they just thought they could enhance the contrast or something.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grantbey

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak