Hope

So, I ordered an Indo. octopus from Live Aquaria. It arrived today and is acclimating now. After a couple of failed attempts with TINY dwarfs, this one seems like a monster! Leg spread is about twelve inches and the mantle length about 1 1/2". I am very excited to see how she fares. Pics and details to follow later tonight!

Wish me luck!

Joe

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
What colors are you seeing? Are its eyes open in the acclimation light or tightly squinted shut. There are (atleast) two complexes that we have seen come in under the Indo octo category, Abdopus and Macropus. Both are human friendly. The Abdopus complex are usually classified as A.aculeatus and are daytime animals with a brown/tan coloration and lots of spikey skin displays. It will have a star around the eye and will frequently show horns when it is poping up over the rockwork to see what is going on. The nocturnal Macropus (species undertermined) will not show spikes, will show strong red coloration and dots along the arms when aggitated. It has a green cast to the underside of the mantle and will reflect green when you use a flash.

I've not seen the pupils yet, as I am drip acclimating into a bucket. As far as color goes, it seems to be lighter than most of the pictures I've seen, certainly not red, more like a sandy-bottom color (if that makes sense). EDIT: looked as the links, definately looks more like the Abdopus. I will watch for the horns once she settles in. She was very active when first out of the bag, now it seems to be somewhat balled up in the crease of the bucket. I am going to continue dripping for another half hour and then I will snap a pic or two when I release her into the tank. Thank you for the links.

Joe

Horns are definately visable, she was peeking at me from behind some rocks. When she went in she flashed colors about ten times, awesome! She has found a comfy hiding spot in the underside of a piece of rock and I am going to let her settle in for the night. I will try some shrimp on a skewer tomorrow, and I have fiddlers coming in on monday. I will post some pics of the escape proofing I did, I'd like opinions on whether it is sufficient. Very excited, she seems very healthy so far!

Joe

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I have listed her with the name Hope and tentatively as A.aculeatus. If the post title was only an expression of your mental state, be sure I change her name :wink:

The title served both purposes. I just went down and spied a little, she is still in the rock, but has her arms feeling around. The texture changes in her skin are absolutely amazing.

She was out exploring yesterday evening, I got a couple of horrible pictures with my cell phone. I'll put them up later and try for real pictures today. It seems that she has eaten a couple of hermit crabs, are these sufficient for a staple (live) diet? Or am I better off with fiddlers, mithrax, etc.?

I gave her a red crab, the LFS was out of fiddlers and they seemed similar enough so I decided to try it. Here she is as she was resting under her rock(I know it's a cruddy pic):
octopics001.jpg

Then when I put the crab in:

octopics002.jpg

Holding it:

octopics003.jpg

And back to her spot:

octopics004.jpg

Watching her eat is amazing, the color and texture changes are unbelievable. I will try for a better pic or two tonight (and clean the glass).