• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Hectocotylus of O. dolflieni

pipsquek

Wonderpus
Registered
Does anyone know where I might find pictures, or even good drawings of the hectocotylized arm of a Giant Pacific? I've been looking for a long time, in lots of places(aquariums, Cephbase, Google searches, with no luck. It's very important to me for the sculpture I am working on. I am close to finishing it, but I need to understand what this looks like before I can complete it.

Thanks......

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
Octo's hectocotylus are supposed to have a small groove running down its arm to transfer sperm to the female, their arm also has no suckers at the tip.

Anyone who can give a better description?

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
I'm search for an illustration of the thing later today - am just full on with a few things right now. I have illustrations of the New Zealand equivalent (Enteroctopus zealandicus) that I can scan and include, and there is a good one of E. magnificus in the original description; Sasaki might have a good illustration of a dofleinihectocotylus; by days end you'll have something to work with.
O

pipsquek

Wonderpus
Registered
Strange the way NZed keep popping up in my life...

I will be so stoked if somebody comes through for me! Then I only have to figure out how to make the suction disks for the last 8 inches of every arm, minus one of course.

Here's a pic of him as it is right now. I am just getting to the fun part of the interbrachial membrane. I knew this would be a difficult project, but I never thought it would take 4 years when I started it.

Thanks a ton...

pipsquek

Wonderpus
Registered
I started it over four years ago. It spent a year in storage while I didn't have a workshop. It's been through a lot of changes, moved arms, broken arms, moved the eyes, enlarged the mantle, twice (and I think I need to do it again). Hopefully I will finish the fabrication in the next 2 monthsd, and then I have to spend a couple months learning some new patinas before I can color and finish coat it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjh1951

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak