• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

'Giant' egg masses (spheres) again

Thanks Steve,

We get what we call moon jellies come in to shore here each easter period. They are cresent shaped and about 5-7 inches in overall diameter and about 1.5 inches thick. They are almost perfectly clear with what looks like tiny sand particles in them.

I always presumed these were just another form of jellyfish however they lack all forms of tentacles or ways of feeding that i can see. They do not have any method of moving around and just move with the currents.

Could these be the egg forms of a ceph??

Tony.

Hey Tony, here on the East Coast of the United States we too get a lot of Moon Jellies in the summer. Their tentacles are hard to see and you wouldnt really notice them unless you were looking at them in an aquarium. Unlike their cousins they feed on tiny organisms that are also at the mercy of the currents.

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
heydiddlesquiddle said:
Thanks Steve,

We get what we call moon jellies come in to shore here each easter period. They are cresent shaped and about 5-7 inches in overall diameter and about 1.5 inches thick. They are almost perfectly clear with what looks like tiny sand particles in them.

I always presumed these were just another form of jellyfish however they lack all forms of tentacles or ways of feeding that i can see. They do not have any method of moving around and just move with the currents.

Could these be the egg forms of a ceph??

Tony.
The size of the structure is small, but a smaller-bodied squid could have released them (if they prove to be squid egg massess). The 'tiny sand particle' reference is most interesting as the 'grains' sound more like eggs (within a gelatinous matrix) than anything with which I am familiar in a typical jellyfish. You'll have to collect a sample and place it beneath a microscope in order to determine what you have.

Cheers
Steve

Jared

Cuttlefish
Registered
Here are a couple of pictures that I took of what we call moon jellies out here in california. One of the jellies is a bit worn out (uh, dead actually) from getting bounce off of rocks by the surge. Are these something like what you saw?

Hi Jared,

Thanks for the link pics of your moon jellies, however they are totally unlike the ones that come in here each easter.

These ones are crescent shaped (horse shoe) and are nearly a perfect round cross section. When these things come in again i will take a pic of one ot two to post.

Keep smiling and take care.

Tony.

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Something that caught me offguard once was a small crescent-shaped sausage-like alga, the little green cells embedded in a gelatinous matrix (thought I had myself something interesting for ..... a day or so). Looking forward to some pics of this mystery glob so that a name/phylum can be attached to it.
Ta
O

okies Steve, I have got my eyes peeled for the first of them to hit the shores here. As soon as i find one i will snap a few pics and see if i can get a macro shot of the sand like matrix inside them.

Keep smiling and take care.

Tony.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eschwesinger

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan