'Giant' egg masses (spheres) again

Oops, that was just one picture. Here's the other one:

download.php

Hi Jared,

Thanks for the link pics of your moon jellies, however they are totally unlike the ones that come in here each easter.

These ones are crescent shaped (horse shoe) and are nearly a perfect round cross section. When these things come in again i will take a pic of one ot two to post.

Keep smiling and take care.

Tony.

Something that caught me offguard once was a small crescent-shaped sausage-like alga, the little green cells embedded in a gelatinous matrix (thought I had myself something interesting for ..... a day or so). Looking forward to some pics of this mystery glob so that a name/phylum can be attached to it.
Ta
O

okies Steve, I have got my eyes peeled for the first of them to hit the shores here. As soon as i find one i will snap a few pics and see if i can get a macro shot of the sand like matrix inside them.

Keep smiling and take care.

Tony.

Well, the DNA is in on the 'giant squid' egg mass.

Check out the image on:
Wadedoak

The egg mass in question does not belong to Architeuthis, even though the egg masses can reach nearly 2 metres in diameter. They belong to a rather common and quite small (doesn't really get any longer than 2 feet in total length) squid (though I'll leave the details out of this for now). We're working on the manuscript that describes these eggs, and how they are formed, fertilised and released. Shouldn't be that far from submission. They're different in a number of respects from a few other eggs that have been spawned in the laboratory (yes, people have managed this feat, but they have not been able to keep the little guys alive).

Just working out the frequency of observation; 7 of these egg masses have been reported to us now, found between the austral summer months of late November through to early April; 2 have been seen in March and 2 in December, 1 in each of the other months; the usual depths are between 12 and 30 metres. Maybe next summer we'll be fortunate to keep the little embryos going, although it appears that development is quite abnormal when the embryos/eggs are removed from the gelatinous matrix.

Will post an update online when we're further down the track.
Us

Well, we finally got this manuscript off last week, though it takes an eternity before these things are finally published (could be 8 months away yet). Will keep you all posted of developments.
Us

Not nearly so grand as an Architeuthis egg-mass, no, but lowly Loligo has been making her presence felt on Cape Cod's beaches, this year. I've seen tons of the "sausages" scudding along the bottom of Pleasant Bay (which is separated from the Atlantic by a miles-long barrier beach). In over twenty years of Cape-time, I've never seen them before. Odd.

:|

Clem

....Clem, you should collect some, place them in cylindrical (!!!!) tanks, let them hatch and give this larval-rearing business a try! It's not nearly as hard as it has been made out to be - you'll just need to procure some food items (and I doubt brine shrimp would suffice).

If only I could lay my hands on an abundance of egg masses like this, right now.

Heavens, it's been more than three years since we posted on this thread .... my how time flys!

I was just forwarded this link - great if you can speak Norwegian, but the pick on page 4 says it all. Nice stuff!

I'll try and attach a few of the images that have since been lost (over time) through this thread. You can see the New Zealand squid egg masses at the following link.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back