found an octo for sale

Ummmmm........................ .............................. ...............

dbbga said:
has anyone checked out fishsupply lately? They have a mimic for sale :shock: :evil:
?Why so much anger? Did you take a look at the price tag? $275.99!
The mimic octopus is one of they most beutiful animals Ive ever seen. theys animals have been around for a long time. It seems scientists and divers have failed to discover them. If we as Ceph keepers never venture out far enough for a few of us to keep them there will never be a guide line for there care. Divers and scientists have been doing the best they can to study them why dont some of our more advanced ceph keepers take up the challenge of trying to maintain one of theys amazing creatures. then at least we would have some sort of guide line of how difficult they are to maintain If we refuse to buy them who are? the fishermen in Indonesia arnt going to stop catching them. Once they become non valuble they will become bycatch! By the way i emailed costomer support about there octopus from Indonesia. I got a responce asking for what speceis im looking for. :wink:

clownfish said:
?Why so much anger? Did you take a look at the price tag? $275.99!
The mimic octopus is one of they most beutiful animals Ive ever seen. theys animals have been around for a long time. It seems scientists and divers have failed to discover them. If we as Ceph keepers never venture out far enough for a few of us to keep them there will never be a guide line for there care. Divers and scientists have been doing the best they can to study them why dont some of our more advanced ceph keepers take up the challenge of trying to maintain one of theys amazing creatures. then at least we would have some sort of guide line of how difficult they are to maintain If we refuse to buy them who are? the fishermen in Indonesia arnt going to stop catching them. Once they become non valuble they will become bycatch! By the way i emailed costomer support about there octopus from Indonesia. I got a responce asking for what speceis im looking for. :wink:

This is the kind of rationalization that could make this animal extinct.

Disclaimer: This is only my opinion.

This is the exact same argument I used for flamboyant cuttlefish, but I stand on the other side of the fence for the mimic.

I feel that the mimic is not a animal that can be bred in captivity like the dwarf cuttlefishes can. That is the defining factor. If you have a animal that is capable of generating offspring that are sustainable and able to take pressure off of wild capture - you have an answer. Octopuses are not in this category, dwarf cuttlefishes are.

We can't even find someone to cultivate bimacs. True the same argument I used before is appropriate- that a octopus that is worth $275 dollars each will better compensate for more effort into it's propagation. But there are many more factors with octos. You can keep a pair of cuttlefish, not so with octos. Cuttlefish have eggs that ship well and are easier to hatch. Newly hatched offspring are not microscopic in flamboyant cuttlefish. The list goes on.

I agree with your ideas-just not in this situation, check out this thread- it is along the same line.

May Have flamboyant hook-up

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back