fossils and ammonite models in the San Francisco Airport

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
When I was passing through SFO on my way to and from Hawaii in January, I was tickled to find that in the causeway to the United terminal, there was a pretty good (for an airport) exhibit on fossils. On the way back, I even had time to take some snapshots-- they didn't all turn out as well as I'd have liked, but I think I did justice to some wonderful plastic ammonite reconstructions they had.

The pix are at http://www.lorax.org/~monty/SFO_fossils/ and the particular page with the ammonite models is in the 404olymp directory, or http://www.lorax.org/~monty/SFO_fossils/404olymp/index.html

Unfortunately, the hard disk that has the TONMOcon pictures I should also post seems to be on its last legs, so it remains to be seen if I've procrastinated on that too long :cry:

Thanks Monty, looks like a great exhibit!

The trouble with illustrating ammonoid shells upside down in the literature becomes apparent when the artists and paleontologists working together to create models get them upside down :lol:
Also I dont think Baculites was a Belemnite :sad:

But they look nice anyway :wink:

What an excellent display Monty. I must say this a somewhat unusual display to find at an airport, not the sort of display that one might expect!

Those reconstructions are absolutely excellent, not withstanding the fact that some of the ammonites are upside down. They superbly represent part of the diverse range of unusual shapes and body forms the ancient externally-shelled cephalopods adopted, our poor old lonely Nautilus looks quite drab in comparison. I've taken the liberty of borrowing one of the best photos for here, so that people can see what they are missing if they don't visit your link, hope you don't mind.

I looks like included in the display is an excellent belemnite fossil with its arm spread of hooklets still preserved. I bet you'd like a look at that, Graeme!

Great photos, and thanks.

Attachments

• conv_288912.jpg
    conv_288912.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 91
Phil said:
I've taken the liberty of borrowing one of the best photos for here, so that people can see what they are missing if they don't visit your link, hope you don't mind.

Great photos, and thanks.

No problem, I probably would have posted a few myself, but I was a little embarassed at how they turned out... :oops: I'm glad you're enjoying them, though.... maybe I'm too harsh on my photography.

There's a lot of interesting fossils all over US airfields: Pittsburgh has a complete T-rex and a Brachiosaurus can be found at O'Hare...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back