Fossil Hunting Trip

I will usually just leave them "as is", just a good washing. Those I photograph in the field are usually good enough to show off just as they are, I collect more still buried in the rock that need preparing and I will prepare them on an as needed basis. If one turns out to be an exceptional specimen or looks like it will show some morphologic character better than others I will prepare it a little sooner and/or with more care. I never polish a fossil, that usually destroys some information. The only reason some get polished is to make them more attractive to potential buyers. :sad:

A quick description of Fossil Preparation

A closeup of part of a very large rock. Anyone want to ID all the little parts and pieces on there? :smile:

Attachments

• conv_297283.jpg
    conv_297283.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 139
It does look like some kind of branching coral, is that really cool thing in the center, part of a trilobite? To the left of center an orthocone?(depending on the age of the rocks) I see some gastropods, crinoid pieces and brachiopods scattered around. A lot of cool stuff on that rock Kevin, it reminds me of some I'm finding. You do realize that you are going to have to show us what every tiny little thing on that rock is.:heee:

The rock is early Middle Ordovician. The first real (common) corals appear in rocks about 100 meters above this one, the branching thing is a Bryozoan. The thing to left of center is an Orthocone as Terri said. The crown in the center is the pygidium of a trilobite as ID'd by CG and Terri. There are gastropods and crinoid pieces in there too, I will annotate the photo this weekend and repost, but please keep helping. :biggrin2:

I think I see a lot of trilobite pieces scattered in with the crinoids and gastropods. Along with other things i don't have a clue on but would really like to know, I find them in my Ordovician rocks too. Above the orthocone to the left between the fractures in the rock and extending down towards the bryozoan looks interesting...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back