• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Fossil Hunting Trip

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
I visited an outcrop of the Jurassic Redwater Member of the Stump Formation and found these. I have been drooling over this outcrop all summer on Google Earth and decided to stop off on the way back from Big Wonderful Wy. this weekend.

Cardioceras hyatti from the C. cordatum zone. The bottom photo shows them as found and the top two show them after being subjected to my preparation skills. Notice also the small marine reptile vert. on the right of the bottom pic. from the same concretion.

Attachments

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
Makes you wonder why it will snow in October around here, but in December the ground is bare... maybe that is why there are so many trees :wink: a photo of the Early Ordovician Fillmore Formation. Found today, a rock full of imprints of orthoconic nautiloids, probably Protocycloceras. Also a small orthocone with a few chambers and part of the siphuncle preserved.

Attachments

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
I can't believe the clarity of those sutures. They brilliantly demonstrate how in such well preserved specimens they can be used as a 'fingerprint' by experts to identify the species.

Lovely finds.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I hope you are taking some pictures of what the site looks like (not the whole field, but a specific spot that you THINK there may be something of interest) before you start digging and put them up on the screen at TONMOCON III. You always make it look like these interesting finds are just sitting there waiting for someone to stumble on them and I am sure it is not so.

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
dwhatley;133878 said:
You always make it look like these interesting finds are just sitting there waiting for someone to stumble on them and I am sure it is not so.
With miles and miles of outcrop, some are just waiting for Me to stumble upon them. This one was found about 2 miles from the truck, close to where the pic below was taken. It really was just sitting there. :wink:

Attachments

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danielle Nicole

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak