• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Collosal squid caught "alive"

Clem

Architeuthis
Registered
Hello ob,

:notworth:

I believe you've just "made your bones," as we say in la cosa nostra.

This is most definitely not old news. Something similar happened back in March/April of this year, but this is the first I've heard of a Mesonychoteuthis capture in June.

Those pictures look like stills from a video. Stills are wonderful, of course, but if there's a video...

Congrats, ob. Great find.

Cheers,
Clem

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
It's the same one Clem; I'm glad the news is out. Seems to have been quite some week for squid!

I haven't seen this specimen ob, but I was contacted by the observer several months ago (and made ref to some sensational new photos that would soon be released). I understand that there IS some video of this brute, albeit at the surface.

Clem

Architeuthis
Registered
Steve,

I guess I must be missing something (or the South Georgia newletter got its dates wrong) because I remember hearing about this back in April, but the article says the event happened at the end of June.

I'm experiencing temporal displacement.

Clem

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Clem said:
I'm experiencing temporal displacement.
Not to worry; I have no recollection of dates - I've just asked someone what month it is. Everything is a blur of late.

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
I did some webtrawling on our photographer friend Ramon Ferreira Gomez, but didn't get much further than the fact that this man has commandeered at least two *different (fishing) vessels, one of them being the Belize registered Arbumasa XXV, actively fishing antarctic waters and landing him a brush with the French navy at one stage: "Excusez moi Monsieur, but eet eez ne pas le season de messie!" I guess Clem's right with his assessment that we all experience some temporal misallignment at some stage in our lives 8o)

*Edit: The Isla Santa Clara is actually the same ship, flagged by Chile in 1999

Now, for that video...

This is astonishing! The time of the squid is upon us.

Ob :notworth:

From the article it looks like the Natural History Museum (UK) may get some samples (or may already have some by now).

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
ob, thanks much for posting. I've gone ahead and removed the "Old News?" from your subject title, as it is not!

Aren't there some video clips available on the 2nd link in ob's post? Looks like yes, but requires quicktime.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lonestar108

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak