• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

BLue-ring displays

Neogonodactylus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
These three photos taken a few seconds apart show how male blue-rings (H. lunulata) can vary the display of their blue rings adjusting background color and ring thickness.

Roy

Attachments

• conv_305110.jpg
    conv_305110.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 20
  • conv_305111.jpg
    conv_305111.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
  • conv_305112.jpg
    conv_305112.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
I've only seen one (alive) up close. It was not happy in its little container so I saw the rings and was impressed but even seeing your other photos I don't remember ever seeing the white display. They are truely stunning, sad they they are not appropriate for keeping at home.

They do vary among individuals. We've seen some pretty easily recognizable (by humans) differences (merged spots, etc). But there might be more subtle, more common differences that we can't yet detect.

CaptFish;187579 said:
:shock: WOW! simply amazing.

Do all Bluerings have their rings(ocelli?) in the same place or does location vary between individual?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back