Beetles in diets of deep sea fishes - similar articles

Seems to me that beetles would be a rare food item for deepwater fish. The pelagic waterstriders might be a different matter since they can range hundreds of miles from shore.

Heather Braid;112162 said:
I don't know if this will help you, but I found an article about the diet of garfish and in it they mention that they found beetles in the stomach contents.

"Diet of the garfish, Belone belone (L.), from Courtmacsherry Bay, Ireland" by J.A. Dorman 1988

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/ac...42+KB)&doi=10.1111/j.1095-8649.1988.tb05476.x

Thanks Heather,

That's just the sort of thing I was looking for. I've been looking for ages, and found nothing; and of course the first thing reviewers asked was were there any other papers out there describing this phenomenon.

Hi bigGdelta

"Seems to me that beetles would be a rare food item for deepwater fish. The pelagic waterstriders might be a different matter since they can range hundreds of miles from shore."

Interesting, yes they were very rare, 6 beetles out of 644 fish specimens and 32 species.

cheers

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
It would seem that beetles would almost have to be from the stomachs of other prey that rise to shallow water to night feed. I saw lots of references to bug/beetles and trout and several other surface eating freshwater fish but nothing on saltwater stomach contents. Were there other identifiable similarities in the stomachs of the fish with the beetles?

dwhatley;112224 said:
It would seem that beetles would almost have to be from the stomachs of other prey that rise to shallow water to night feed. I saw lots of references to bug/beetles and trout and several other surface eating freshwater fish but nothing on saltwater stomach contents. Were there other identifiable similarities in the stomachs of the fish with the beetles?

Yes, and here's the weird part, 5 out of the six fishes were bottom feeders.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
What is more confounding to me is that the beetles I find here (inland) all float for a very long time. I will see various bugs/beetles in my SW holding tank in the garage but they always float.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Infusoria;112299 said:
Yes, and here's the weird part, 5 out of the six fishes were bottom feeders.

Bizarre....no chance they're secondary digestion then? (what sp of fish? or do I have to wait for the paper what with the vagaries of publishing?)

J

Latest Posts