• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

aggressive baby food

I see. So you can only pollute the tank? Well, thanks for answering my questions. I'm hoping to get a 200gal tank soon for a group of 8-10 bandensis or less but the aquarium isn't ready yet. I'm so exited and I hope this goes well. I've wanted to keep/breed cuttles since as far back as I can remember...

re: cycling

you can either cycle with some hardy fish like damsels, or acclimated mollies, or you can just buy a couple of jumbo raw shrimp from your grocer to get the cycle started.

And of course, you can't keep thoses damsels or mollies when you get your octopus, so you'd better have a plan for putting them somewhere else.

Nancy

If you add enough fresh live rock, you do not need fish or shrimp. If your liverock is not so alive the frozen shrimp will provide ammonia to get things started (let it decay in the tank, if you do NOT see a nitrite jump, add another). The fish you are using, particularly the damsels, are very difficult to catch once you put LR in the tank and really don't benefit anything but visual stimulation while your are cycling. I have a pair of Chromis in my 45 gallon reef that have proven impossible to catch, even with the on going attempts of 4 different people and a variety of nets and methods. Fortunately, the only reason for wanting to move them (they were my son's initially and donated to my tank when he converted his to a preditor tank) was to put them in another tank and they are not a major problem where they are (not so if you want an octopus in the tank). Your LFS may accept your current fish (if you can catch them) in exchange for product.

Just to be clear: Please don't use fish or any other animals to cycle a tank. The belief that you need to do so is outdated and incorrect. :grin;

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back