What Has Become of "Monster Squid: The Giant is Real"? (and others)

Aronnax

Hatchling
Registered
Ever since I've seen the Curiosity episode on Discovery Channel in 2013, "Monster Squid: The Giant is Real," I was hoping that it would show again or be on DVD. Since the time it first aired, it has never been shown again. Although it is part of Curiosity's Season 2, it has not been released with those other episodes to the public. The full thing was up on You Tube before, but it was pulled. Why doesn't Discovery want this episode show to anybody else again? Or for that matter, why aren't they distributing it? This is the first documentary ever to showing full-motion video footage of a living giant squid in its natural habitat, and the Discovery Channel doesn't think it deserves distribution? Even to the scientific community?

I've been collecting giant squid-based films since the late 90s, such as the famed National Geographic special Sea Monsters: Search for the Giant Squid and Nature's Incredible Suckers. They're very few, it's not often that you get a giant squid themed documentary come along. Actually, there are a bunch of short documentaries which I have missed which haven't reached video or DVD. Like the National Geographic documentary in 2011 where they used a robot submersible in the Azores, and probably caught a vague glimpse of a giant squid swimming rapidly above the camera.

Does anyone know why these films are not more readily available?

Thanks for the post on this, Aronnax. @Steve O'Shea doesn't visit TONMO as much as he used to but I think he's doing some retrospective work on his involvement with that expedition. I'll poke him with a pointy (headed) stick to see if he might be inclined to reply here. Meanwhile, check out our live viewing party for that event!

:madsci::oshea:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back