• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks, like Site Search. Follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Welcome

Henk-Jan

Hatchling
Registered
Dear steve and Phil,

With great interest I have been reading the discussion on the question whether Architeuthis represents one worldwide population or several populations.

Especially the remark, there is no genetic evidence for the existence of different species between the N-Atlantic, South Atlantic etc.

I was wondering where this information is published or when it will be published.

Were Japanese specimens included in this comparison?

Looking forward to a reply

Regards Henk-Jan

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Hi Henk-Jan. I don't know how this post was overlooked - sorry for the delay.

Tiz a bad time right now for me to sit down and write about this particular aspect of research; I can say that Japenese specimens were not included in our genetic analyses (although South Pacific and both North and South Atlantic specimens were).

There's a manuscript due for submission on this ... it should have been submitted last year (long story); I'll track down the fate of it and get back to you with more info soon.
Kindest
Steve

Pieces

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hi, I'm a new member here :smile:

I've always been fascinated by large underwater creatures, and I have alot of interest in cryptozoology and the study of 'sea monsters' in general, and therefore the giant squid became a natural topic of interest for me.

However, I always had a lot of trouble finding much information on the so called 'elusive' creature, but this site really has SO much information, its really amazing! I was recently able to borrow a copy of 'The search for the Giant Squid' by Ellis, and this renewed my interest in the Architeuthis, and google led me to this site, which was quickly added to my list of favorites.

Keep up the great work!

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Well, Welcome to Tonmo!!!!
Great to have another cryptozoology buff here...Phil, Clem, myself and others are all into the weird beasts too!
greg

jesska

Hatchling
Registered
well, let me start off by saying that i am new here. I just watched the documentary on the giant squid and it sparked my interest... i got right on the web to learn more. Im a student currently, and heading off to college in a few months. I want to do something along the lines of what you are accomplishing and i find your work facinating. My favorite course right now is ap biology, and i want to pursue some sort of marine biology in college. Zoology facinates me, and i love learning about new and exciting things in the world of biology! Keep up the good work, you are an inspiration! :biggrin2:

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
:welcome: there Jesska. A tremendous number of people are involved in these docos; if they don't all do their job then the whole thing can come crashing down (and that doesn't look good, especially on telly). I didn't do my job - they all died after we caught them; now I have to make good, and am busting my foofoo valve to ensure that the next time we go out there are no tears - only happy squid. We're almost there!

jesska

Hatchling
Registered
will there be another documentary, do you think, when you do get it right? Im so engrossed in this topic now... its been on my mind all day!

also... you dont give yourself enough credit! You did what no one else has done before!!!! you were able to keep deep sea squid alive longer than anyone else, and even though you werent able to achieve the goal of keeping the giant squid larva alive, just being able to do what you have done was worth it in my mind. Biology is the constantly changing, and we are constantly learning more and more, you just helped us along a little bit... So i keep my original salute: keep up the good work! :notworth:

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blam

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak