• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Water? Falling from the sky!?!?!?!?

The typical weather pattern for this time of year is to have the sea breezes kick up some heavy rains around 4:00 PM. They usually tail off by 6:00 PM.

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
48 hours ago we had the heaviest thunderstorm we have had for many years. Our local river, the Dour, burst it's banks and flooded part of the centre of the town, and I believe Folkestone was heavily flooded too. We must have had two inches of rain in a couple of hours and the storm drains could not cope as many of them were silted up.

Being the idiot that I am, I actually went out to try and photograph what I could, I got a few snaps before the batteries went. I literally had to wade in water that was almost a foot and a half in depth.

I made a little video, I apologise that it is dark, but it was 21:40 so there was not much I could do about that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TLhgFOZSh8

Earthquakes in April and floods in June, whatever next?

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Phil, you really manage to convey WET in this video. The sound is fantastic!

Hope you're dry by now!

Nancy

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Thanks Nancy - the thunderstorm was right overhead and was very violent - some of the lightning was even refracting different colours which is something I've not seen for years.

Yep, dried out completely now, thanks. Yesterday was a gorgeous sunny day, it was as if nothing had ever happened. The only obvious trace was from a tidal mark of mud and weed left on some of the buildings where the river had burst its banks.

The damage in the SE of England is estimated to cost £5m to clean up and repair.

Oh, and yes that is my voice in the vid.

(Apologies that this has nothing to do with cephs. I won't make a habit of it.)

Attachments

• conv_291490.jpg
    conv_291490.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 80
  • conv_291491.jpg
    conv_291491.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 71
  • conv_291492.jpg
    conv_291492.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 78

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
U-Tube's "view something similar" suggestions showed that there was a similar flood in July of 2004 complete with hail stones but I am not sure that the water was as high.

... and as a note to our AZ friends, a small summer shower would do that to Pheonix.

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
Despite your weather forecast, I appear to have forgotten to bring my raincoat :oops:

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
...Tell Tony to pick up some garbage bags...one slit cut, and viola! Poncho!

PurpleTentacle

GPO
Registered
The updated forecast says 0% chance of rain on Saturday and 10% chance on Sunday. The national weather service seems to be wrong about Sarasota as often as they are about Santa Barbara. As I liked to say up there, "if you don't like the weather, just wait 10 minutes."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjh1951

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak