• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

There's gold in them there nodules!

neuropteris

GPO
Registered
Hi All

Had another wander along the Holderness coast a couple of weeks ago and found an obvious upper lias nodule eroding out of the boulder clay that makes up the cliffs on that section. Gave it a tap and voila! a rather nice specimen of Dactylioceras tenuicostatum preserved largely in Pyrite. This particular beastie has had a fairly adventurous post death existence having remained buried for 180 million years or so, then being scraped out of the ground by a passing glacier, carried across country for a fair few miles before being buried again for a few more thousand years before finally being uncovered by the sea again - and then just when it was about to return to its ancestral home it gets whacked by a hammer and put on a shelf! It just shows you never know what the world will have in store for you.

Andy

Attachments

• conv_302187.jpg
    conv_302187.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 92

neuropteris

GPO
Registered
Aye, it is a nice one. They are quite often pyritic to some degree but this one was one of the most metallic I've seen. Easy to prep aswell - a few taps with the hammer to show it was there then about 30 minutes with the airpen and a quick clean up using my mates air abrasive. The back of the nodule is covered in Glacial striations aswell.

Andy

Fine & dandy Andy !
I've a pair of Cardioceras I'm slowly rebuilding after bouncing down the cliff at Pakefield, Suffolk which have taken a very similar journey to yours & now live in an icecream tub in France awaiting more of my attention.

Keef

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
"Fools Gold"

I wonder why we dont have many fossils around these parts replaced with Pyrite? All I see is sometimes a clump of square crystals, I think its Goethite (a replacement of the original Pyrite) and usually attached to the fossil, not replacing it. :sad: It sure makes a good lookin fossil. Well at least I dont have to worry about any of my fossils getting that pyrite disease :wink:

neuropteris

GPO
Registered
Luckily for me the Yorkshire coast pyrite seems pretty stable, no deterioration on any of the finds even after 10 years or so. Theres a lot of pyrite in the beds around there - particularly the Jet Rock which has beds of pyrite skinned nodules which look great when polished up (aswell as having their own range of ammonites within!).

Andy

AndyS

Cuttlefish
Registered
Andy,

Even the Jet rock pyrite nodules eventually start to decay - I have some from about 16 years ago that now start. I would think that polishing even accelerates the decay unless you really seal the surface with some air- and water tight varnish.

AndyS

neuropteris

GPO
Registered
Hi Andy - nice to hear from you again.

So, I've got that to look forward to then. Never mind. This one has had a light coat of matt varnish diluted in white spirit.

Had a look over Robin Hoods Bay again last week which was quite successful. Androgynoceras, Gagaticeras, Amaltheus, Oxynoticeras - I think we'd found examples of 10 genera by the end of the day though few were what I'd call presentable. Found as yet unidentified spiny ammonite in situ in an Obtusum zone nodule. Will post a picture later (its not a great example of whatever it is though).

All the best

Andy

neuropteris

GPO
Registered
Here is the mystery Robin Hoods Bay (lower Lias) ammonite - any suggestions gratefully accepted :smile:

Andy (not S)

Attachments

• conv_288002.jpg
    conv_288002.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 82

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjh1951

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri