• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

the new octo, Schlemm

so i got the new octo from the store on tuesday and he's doing quite well. I acclimated him while my mom, teacher, and 3 kids were around and my teacher was doing a crossword puzzle with a student on eye anatomy. suddenly she exclaimed "oh! its schlemm!!" and we all stopped and looked at her and then burst out laughing, so we had to name the octo schlemm in honor of the moment.

Schlemm is awesome, the new center of attention in class. he spends most of his time watching the class, his little eye stalks peering out from his hole. on wednesday we had state-wide testing so those not testing could come in late and be excused so of course i went and bought some food for schlemm. i put a snail down next to his hole and he calmly reached out and curled an arm around the snail and dragged it into the hole. it was the coolest thing! it made my week, i think.

he blends in really well too, so half the time no one can find him! on friday i couldnt find himn and then my teacher just said "hes on the right" in such a nonchalant manner. i think he may be a bimac but im not sure. he is pale greenishblue when not blending in with the rocks and his eyes are raised on short stalks. he doesnt have as many suckers on his arms as othello's but they are more varied in size. i'll try to get a good pic tmw.

also, sometimes he will bob his head/eyes at me, in a manner very similar to the anoles outside, but only once or twice at a time. is this normal? what could it mean?

Clem

Architeuthis
Registered
Hello Norgebyblood,

I'm not a ceph keeper, but that sounds like normal behavior. Also, I love the fact that it's name is Schlemm.

Clem

today i brought in a bunch of new snails and hermits, he grabbed a pair of hermits and a snail immeadiately, the greedy little devil! can he overeat?

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Welcome to Schlemm!

No, he's not a bimac! i need cuttle also has a small bluish-green octopus which he's keeping at his high school. So please get some good pics and we'll have a look at him.

Nancy

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
norgebyblood;89656 said:
today i brought in a bunch of new snails and hermits, he grabbed a pair of hermits and a snail immeadiately, the greedy little devil! can he overeat?

He didn't over eat....octopus eat a lot!

J

i will as soon as i get home, the school comps wont take my cams memory card. anyone have ideas on entertaining Schlemm? i'd like to make him a tube mazee bt im unsure of what material to use. i dont want hamster tubes b/c i want to show his abilities as an invertebrate. any other ideas? has anyone shown their octo a mirror before???

Schlemm ID?

ok so i found a picture contributed by Rudiger of his octo that looks EXACTLY like Schlemm, but it doesnt say what kind his is. Anyone know?

heres the pic:
http://http://www.tonmo.com/gallery/data/3/medium/rudiger-octopus.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjh1951

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak