Squirt- O. Bimaculoides

Well there are some updates but i hate to post them..... Squirt past last saturday. :sad: I guess i was trying to deny it or something by not posting it. I think he might have had one of those main heart attacks where his main one stopped instead of his 2 lungs stopping first. I found him that morning just dead in the tank. A very sad day:sad: He started getting bored one day and I deciede to give him a golf ball and he really liked it he would spin it around and stuff. Squirt was one of the best octos i had. RIP buddy.:sad:

:sad:

Would you mind doing a final summary post on you feeding routine (including quantity) and tank temp ranges over the 9 months you had him? I think I will start asking everyone to consider doing this to see if any antecdotal coorelation exists for each of the different species.

For feeding i fed him a whole thawed shrimp every night. I kept the temp at 62 degrees. I didnt take any measurements but from playing with him his mantle was about 4-5 inches. Well he was a good octo. I will miss him.

I'm sorry to hear about squirt dying. The good news is that starting in October (7th and 8th) there are day time minus tides, lower than -0.5', for the next few months, so you'll have a lot of chances to find a replacement.

Do you know if Squirt was male or female? Was "he" showing signs of senility? If not, then he probably didn't die of old age, any idea what might have killed him? Any recent changes in diet, filtration, anything? I doubt if golf balls are toxic, but it's worth wondering about.

I did a little Googling and found that "surlyn" is a common material used to cover golf balls, and that some types of surlyn contain zinc. zinc is toxic to mollusks, and I wonder if this could have been a factor in Squirt's demise.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back