• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Squid Jet Physics

Feelers

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
So can they only use one jet? And then have to stop and refill before using the jet again?

I was thinking this just because the intake for the jet is also at the head end - so sucking in would create a pull forwards - equal to the push backwards?
I dont know anything really about hyrdodynamics - Fujisawas Sake if you could go into a bit more detail I'm interested :smile:

I had a look at http://home.earthlink.net/~mmc1919/venturi.html to see what Bernoulli's principle was, but I dont see how it can be used to jet away multiple times? My theory was that maybe the water is drawn in from above and below then squirted forwards?

OctoPussyAZ

Wonderpus
Registered
More via Pharyngula

This is from Squid Blog (never heard of it before today) -- thanks again to PZ at Pharyngula...

http://www.squidblog.net/2005/11/22/jet-flow-in-steadily-swimming-adult-squid/

Feelers: It seems to me that, although the intake also faces backwards, it is of enormous area relative to the jet nozzle... But what do I know?

The writer on SquidBlog is talking about some arcane Vortex ring propulsion stuff, anf the conclusion is, after experiments, is that the squid does not use this method.

Feelers

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
OctoPussyAZ - I was just thinking of the idea of getting out what you put in - I'm trying to think about it in terms of floating through space.

If you catch a ball (intake water) you gain its momentum(in this case get sucked towards where you are intaking water), then if you throw the ball(faster than you caught it) away in the direction you caught it from- you will have a net gain in momentum.

At least thats how I can figure it - and like you say Bernoulli's Principle is used to increase the velocity of "throwing the ball".

um...

Architeuthis
Registered
Feelers, I would agree that there's probably a shot of 'negative' momentum on the intake, although it's probably tiny compared to the momentum gained from the jet. I took fluid mechanics a million years ago, and I can't seem to remember whether there would be any advantage to a high velocity flow over a slower flow of greater volume. Power? Is it easier for muscle to move a small amount of water very quickly in a rapid succession of contractions? I have a pdf of the article, which I downloaded a week or two ago, but I forgot all about it until yesterday when PZ brought it up (I'm moving in two days--causes some distraction).

Must go pack. Too bad the textbooks have been sealed for a week. :sad:

dub_doctor

Blue Ring
Registered
OctoPussyAZ said:
This is from Squid Blog (never heard of it before today) -- thanks again to PZ at Pharyngula...

http://www.squidblog.net/2005/11/22/jet-flow-in-steadily-swimming-adult-squid/

Feelers: It seems to me that, although the intake also faces backwards, it is of enormous area relative to the jet nozzle... But what do I know?

The writer on SquidBlog is talking about some arcane Vortex ring propulsion stuff, anf the conclusion is, after experiments, is that the squid does not use this method.
Actually, I was just quoting this article: http://jeb.biologists.org/cgi/content/full/208/6/iii

[Edit: Sorry OctoPussyAZ, I didn't see your next post]

Myself, I can't make much of the original article.

I'd still love someone to make an animation of squids in motion, to demonstrate the conclusions of this paper. The abstract-style pictures in the original article are so uninformative to the non-expert.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuroraVK

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak