Shevia - O.hummelincki

The last few days I have been sticking my finger in just a little to SLOWLY get her used to my hands. The first day, she wanted nothing to do with me. She went straight to her den. Two days ago, she grabbed my finger and yanked... I resisted and she went straight to her den. Yesterday and today she keeps touching me, yanking, then backing off. Then immediately coming right back. Today I got to "pet" her head!!!!! So, now I'm excited and going to keep trying everyday!!! So, D, you can take me off your imfamous quotes!! :P
After I pet her, she has stayed in that corner of the tank. It's like she's waiting for me to come back!!! She has been out roaming pretty much all day everyday!!!

So, D, you can take me off your imfamous quotes!! :P
Oh No, TODAY you MAKE the list :biggrin2: Had you continued to avoid contact, there would be no humor :wink:

I will give her a few days before I start sticking my hand in there again! I'm not very enthused about doing it! Still a little freaked out!

Today I got to "pet" her head!!!!! So, now I'm excited and going to keep trying everyday!!!

:biggrin2: Neal (spouse) is really just now starting to take the time to interact. I think he has a special bonding with Cassy (who now comes out of the water to wrap her arms around his hand at feeding time like in her last video :biggrin2:). He has always been funny when I make an effort to ensure I won't be bitten and asks me, "how much can it hurt?" However, after keeping octos for 5 years, he is only now getting really brave with them :roll: Tonight he let Cassy do whatever she wanted with his hand, making the comment that he felt quite secure since she had a large piece of shrimp in her beak. :biggrin2:

dwhatley;170093 said:
However, after keeping octos for 5 years, he is only now getting really brave with them :roll: Tonight he let Cassy do whatever she wanted with his hand, making the comment that he felt quite secure since she had a large piece of shrimp in her beak. :biggrin2:

This is when I felt comfortable petting and allowing Isis to touch me. She wasnt like Pen but she was really interested in me and what we were doing.

Nothing new really to report!!! Other than me being sick! Hate this weather!! :P Shevia has been doing great!! She's been very active. I've been "playing" with her everyday! She's getting more and more used to my hand being in the tank and petting her! Will probably be moving her in the next two weeks to the 65! Can't wait!!! Hopefully I will get my video's uploaded today!

Okay!!! Finally feeling better and have a lot to post about!!!! We had a blizzard warning for the last 2 days so we decided it was time to move her to her new tank! We thought it would be best just in case we lost power, the new tank's water parameters would likely do better for longer than the little one!!! And let me tell you, it was a circus!!!!! I used our fish trapper and at first she was okay with it coming at her and encasing her! UNTIL.... She realized it was trying to encase her!!:smile: She INKED and the entire tank turned black! So we starting FREAKIN out :bugout: She then tried to lunge herself out of the tank (Inking AGAIN and spitting it as us and our wall) so we quickly grabbed her and got her into the trapper. We rushed her to the other tank spilling ink water all over myself and got her into her new home! She calmed down rather quick and has been enjoying her new place!!! Swimming and checking everything out!! Thank Goodness!!! Here is a video of me trying to pet her and then of her in her new home!!

Attachments

• conv_297851.jpg
    conv_297851.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 128
  • conv_297852.jpg
    conv_297852.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 109
The pictures are of her new tankmate who is giant crab who is a pain in the A**!!! He ate an arm off our chocolate star!! We declawed it and I am hoping Shevia eats the jerk soon!!!! Here is the other video and a few more pics

Attachments

• conv_297853.jpg
    conv_297853.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 122
  • conv_297854.jpg
    conv_297854.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 117
  • conv_297855.jpg
    conv_297855.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 97
She looks terrific!! I love the first video. She certainly is curious about that finger. Wow, your move was really wild. Inking will always freak me out as the first time I witnessed it was right before death. She looks to be enjoying her new tank. Would love to see a FTS of her new tank. I am always curious of other peoples rock piles :biggrin2: and seeing others' setups gives me ideas.

Thanks! She is amazing!!! The last two times she inked, it was never a lot! This time, it turned the whole tank black! She absolutely LOVES her new tank! She has SO much more room!!! She also gets a view of the living room now and our other 90 gallon tank! Here are a few pics of the tank!

Attachments

• conv_297857.jpg
    conv_297857.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 104
  • conv_297858.jpg
    conv_297858.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 128
  • conv_297859.jpg
    conv_297859.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 123
I am happy to suggest that Shevia a male :biggrin2:. Correct my observation if it is wrong but the video in the new tank never gave a fully clear view but it certainly looked like HE was keeping the third arm to the right tightly curled.

Glad you are coming out from being under the weather (in spite of a lot of our clan being kept IN by the weather of late :wink:).

Your petting video is a great example of interaction behavior (IME, especially for this species). They seem appear undecided about the whole thing but keep coming back for "just one more" pet. Cassy (O.briareus) is starting to think petting is a good thing but her leave and returns are quite different.

D- I agree but my fiance insists he is a female!! :smile: So, that's what he's sticking with!!!
Lmecher-Her tank is actually a 65, our other tank is a 90! We will add more rock soon!!! With me not feeling well and the snowstorms, we haven't been out much! So hopefully soon we can get more rock! She is very happy in her new tank. She has been swimming constantly (which I LOVE to watch)! She's been watching us (since she can now see us in the living room hanging out) and the other fish tank like a hawk!!! Here is a pic of our other tank!
And Thank you, I am feeling better!!!

Attachments

• conv_297860.jpg
    conv_297860.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 127

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back