[Octopus]: Save Bandit!

CHolland

Cuttlefish
Registered
I didn't really save him from anything, but I can't pass up a great office reference! :biggrin2:

I wanted to start a journal for Bandit, my latest octopus after being out of the octopus side of the hobby for a couple years.

I believe he's a baby O. briareus, but it's still a little early to tell. (I'd love thoughts on this!) Only thing I'm certain of is that he was sourced from Haiti.

I picked him up from my local fish store yesterday. He was already eating there and I already got to see him hunting this morning! he's currently eating salt water feeder shrimp. On all accounts he seems happy and healthy. He's currently about 3-4 inches in diameter when streached out. I'm looking forward to this journey and I hope you all enjoy the updates and pictures!
IMG_20210827_054843587.jpg

IMG_20210826_145812889.jpg

Welcome to Bandit!

I’m a little concerned about the fish I saw in your video. We usually recommend that no fish be kept with your octopus. Fish can bother a young octopus, and when your octopus gets older, your octo will eat the fish.

Nancy

Welcome to Bandit!

I’m a little concerned about the fish I saw in your video. We usually recommend that no fish be kept with your octopus. Fish can bother a young octopus, and when your octopus gets older, your octo will eat the fish.

Nancy
Thank you for the tip! I didn't think the damsel give it a hard time, but I could see it happening. I'll make sure I get it rehomed as soon as I can!

Welcome to Bandit, and congratulations on your new friend! Looking at your videos, I don’t think you have a briareus there- I’m leaning towards hummelincki! The stockier body, coloration and arm to body ratio, plus knowing it’s sourced from Haiti bring hummelincki to mind. Look for ocelli- a bluish “eyespot” on either side- sort of just where the webbing begins.

Search the journals here for hummelincki for more examples and see what you think.

Bandit is doing great! He is eating like a hog. I am keeping a steady supply of live shrimp in his tank, but he's making it difficult to keep it stocked. 🤣

He's extremely active and always prowling for food. He loves to chill on the jets coming into the tank (see video). I think it's because the shrimp like to hide there. 🤷 He is also prone to grab my hand if I have it in the tank (I always let him do it on his own terms). He only likes short interactions, but I feel like he's still getting to feel for me and his environment. I'm interested to see how that changes as he matures.

I'm thinking there might be something to him being a hummelincki. I haven't noticed any ocelli yet, but I'm checking every chance I get. If anyone sees anything in the below pictures that I missed, I'd love to figure out what he is!

Here's some more pics and a video:

Attachments

• IMG_20210901_182416104.jpg
    IMG_20210901_182416104.jpg
    568.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20210901_182654960.jpg
    IMG_20210901_182654960.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 27
  • VID_20210901_182911088~2.mp4
    15.4 MB
I don't want to post this (I thought about just deleting my account and calling it a day), but I feel like I owe some closure to this great community.

Late last week, I found bandit laying on the aquarium sand upside down and unresponsive. To say the least, I'm heart broken and feel like I've failed. I have no idea what went wrong. His water was in great shape (I checked parameters and the tds coming out of my ro system and everything was great). I had just done a 15 gallon water change a night or two before, and he had no visible physical issues or damage. My only theories are that he was some kind of misidentified dwarf who was already old when I got him, or the water change some how shocked his system. Neither one of those really help explain things, but regardless of the cause, he's gone now.

I know this is the risk we run with these guys, but this one hurt bad. Love your little guys and enjoy them while you can.

I'm probably going to admire cephalopods from afar for now on. I'm planning to convert my tank to freshwater and live with the happy memories. Thank you to this wonderful community and all the great advice, insights, and stories from over the years! You all are great! 💔🐙

I am so sorry for your loss! You cannot blame yourself, you have no way of knowing you did anything wrong. It’s always helpful to look over your notes to see if you can pinpoint an area that you can improve upon, but NOT to the point where you beat yourself up!!! No matter how seasoned a keeper you might become, this is always a possibility when keeping octopuses. And while we are a community dedicated to helping you take care of your octopus, the flipside is that we are here to mourn with you when the inevitable happens. So many hugs to you!!!

I am so sorry for your loss! You cannot blame yourself, you have no way of knowing you did anything wrong. It’s always helpful to look over your notes to see if you can pinpoint an area that you can improve upon, but NOT to the point where you beat yourself up!!! No matter how seasoned a keeper you might become, this is always a possibility when keeping octopuses. And while we are a community dedicated to helping you take care of your octopus, the flipside is that we are here to mourn with you when the inevitable happens. So many hugs to you!!!
Thank you for your kind words! It means a lot!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back