• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

[Research News] Hawaiian Bobtail Squid and Bacterial Toxins

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Maybe this explains the Iraqi interest in cephs...

anyone remember this?

VERY interesting... I especially like the emphasis on bacterial symbiosis. Makes me wonder how many other bioluminescent species have to find their own crop of bacteria.

Does anyone know if this is the case of the firefly squid or Taningia?

Another interesting thought comes to mind: Toxins are amazing things. I keep thinkning back to the use of neurotoxins in Architeuthis as a neurotransmitter assistant.

Sushi and Sake,

John

So wait, this chemical (the aforementioned cytotoxin), actually regulates the development of certain organs? That is gnarly.

Interesting thoughts on endosymbionts here; we're talking that the relationship between prokaryotes and eukaryotes is pretty widespread. Say, what kind of gut fauna exist in cephs?

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHF8

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak