• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

octopus inteligence

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Zyan's babies have succeeded and I am going to try my Mercs together but these are sibblings who were/are raised together from hatchlings.

I believe Delosa suggested that she thought she could partition the tank. Noting Mucktopus' reply, the partitioning might need to be uneven and long ways rather than bisectional. Depending upon time, materials and creativitiy, it might be possible to run an over/under section or sealed tubing runs to share more room.

delosa

O. vulgaris
Registered
They will stress each other even if I have it divided down the center with a screen were they can't get to each other?

gjbarord

Sepia elegans
Staff member
Octopus Intelligence

The stress placed on octopus living side by side (with a partition) would probably induce less stress than having two aggressive octopus in the same aquarium. The aggressor will most likely be searching the partition for a route to the other side. I have seen this sort of behavior occur in bimaculoides. Just so I am clear, my recommendation would be to house only one octopus at a time. It is possible, however, to house multiple octopus at the same time given the right environmental conditions.

Greg

delosa

O. vulgaris
Registered
Well, I think I will give them about a week to see how they are doing, then if all goes well, I'll get another aquarium.

Thanks everyone.

YELLOWFISH

Hatchling
Registered
Sorry if this sounds a little off topic but going back to the intelligence aspect of octopus. Doesn't anyone else find it strange that a creature with such a high mental capacity has such a short lifespan? Most intelligent creatures have quite a long life span and most need it as they have alot to learn. Octopus don't.

Wether this is a blessing to mankind or a curse is up for debate. :wink:

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
my :twocents: is that a lot of what we assume about intelligent animals comes from extrapolating from just the vertebrates, or just the mammals, so we're getting a whole lot of evolutionary baggage in the animals that happen to be intelligent, but that doesn't really have anything to do with intelligence in general. I think a good reason to investigate smart invertebrates like cephs or stomatopods is to understand how much blindness we have to things that aren't like us, as well as to look at how animals distantly related to us use different biology to solve the same problems we do by convergent evolution to some particular pattern (the similarities and differences between human and octopus eyes are often brought up in this regard).

delosa

O. vulgaris
Registered
I wonder what octopuses would be able to do if they lived for 10... 15... or 20 years. If they can at such a fast rate, imagine the possibilites.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjh1951

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak